Grief is Merciful...

I’ve just been watching Casualty from last night. I have found the storyline about Duffy with dementia and then dying to be quite distressing. Anyway one of the lines was words to the effect of,
“Grief is merciful. If it came all at once it would break you. That’s why it comes in waves.”
Xx

3 Likes

Hi Kate…I haven’t watched it yet…I’ve grown up with casualty, and I know it will break me up…but yes…I understand that quote…earlier today I read a C.S lewis quote about grief…

“No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing.

At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take in what anyone says.

I think the drunk feeling is our brain protecting us…or maybe it’s the gin x

3 Likes

I certainly feel I have brain fog since losing my husband, perhaps it is a way to soften the pain of loss. But like Kate, the words spoken in Casualty touched me and a simple way to understand how we survive :blue_heart:

1 Like