Grief is turning into depression

My brother died recently and I suffer from depression but have been doing really well until this. I’ve tried to keep a lid on my grief and not let it turn into depression but I think I’m losing that battle now

Dear Susie,
Trying to ‘keep a lid on grief’ is very hard to do. Grief comes with so many different emotions and they have to find a way out one way or another. There are a lot of similarities between grief and depression. When my mum lost my dad, we asked for help from our GP because we felt she was very depressed, but we were told that a diagnosis of depression would not be made for at least 6 weeks to 6 months after a loss. Were you already suffering with depression before you lost your brother and were you getting treatment for it? If so, have you contacted your GP for advice? Do you have a good friend or family member you can open up to and who can support you? It is good that you have joined this online community. When I lost first my mum and then my dad I found it very helpful to read posts and responses from others who had gone through similar experiences. I hope this will help you to. Do feel free to post as often as you want.
Jo

I do normally suffer from depression but have been doing well after a bout of hypnotherapy last year I don’t want to go back to antidepressants I’m not a fan of them. I will be trying more hypnotherapy though just want to let a period of grief pass first because I know it’s something I have to go through.
I suffer from SAD so this is a tricky time for me not knowing what is grief and what is more serious depression.
I’ve been through grief many time’s before but as we all know it never gets any easier. I’m trying to keep busy as the worst time’s are when I’m alone.

1 Like

Hello Susie
I am interested in hypnotherapy also. Can I ask you to kindly tell me a little bit more about your experiences with it? I don’t want to take antidepressants either
Thank you
Steve

Have you seen my msg on the other thread further down?