Grief is worse 7 months on

Hi, i lost my mum back in Sept 2022. She lived with me and i had been her sole carer for almost 5 years. I also lost my aunt who was mums twin sister 6 days before losing my mum. We had a joint funeral for them in Nov 2022. I was offered grief counselling which i accepted and felt i was doing well but in the last few weeks it has hit me like a ton of bricks and i feel so much worse now than i did after her death. Im struggling to cope and just spend the days crying i try to do things but have no motivation. Has anyone else felt like this a few months after a loss?

3 Likes

Hello @Sharon2205,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum. It sounds like things are really hard for you right now. Are you still in counselling?

I’m just giving your thread a gentle, “bump” for you as it’s been quite busy on the community today - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

Take good care,
Seaneen

Hi, i was only offered 6 sessions of counselling by the hospice who cared for my mum and that finished a few weeks ago

Hi Sharon,

I’m sorry that you are struggling. I can relate to your post. I lost my Dad in November 2022, we were incredibly close and I feel like losing him has affected every part of my life. I have had a constant sadness and longing since dad passed away, I keep busy and there are times where it feels slightly less brutal but I also feel that the grief is worse five months on.

I don’t know how I will feel from one day (sometimes one hour) to the next and it’s completley disorientating. When the “waves” of grief come it is extremely debilitating. I posted not long ago that I was concerned about my ability to cope with the grief long term as it often feels worse than ever.

I was speaking with a councellor once a week and I think possibly around Feb it changed to once a month as I felt like I was coping better but last time I saw her (around 3 weeks ago) I cried for the whole session.

I wonder if it now sometimes feels worse or more heavy as it’s further on from when I last spoke to my dad. I miss him desperately and want to talk to him and when I think that I can’t do that anymore I have a feeling of despair.

I get through the days and try to do things that will help to make me feel better (keeping active, being productive) but nothing feels easy like it once did, it just feels heavy and like hard work.

I have thought about speaking to GP but I am under councellor and not sure what she could do to help.

Sorry if my post is all over the place. Sometimes, I think I am managing ok and othertimes I feel like there is something wrong with me as it feels unbearable. I don’t know when it will become easier or when I’ll get my motivation back. At the moment I will settle for just feeling sad as my default setting and glad that it’s not the debilitating grief that visits some days and weeks.

1 Like