GRIEF

I found this today:
Grief is subversive, undermining the quiet agreement to behave and be in control of our emotions. It is an act of protest that declares our refusal to live numb and small. There is something feral about grief, something essentially outside the ordained and sanctioned behaviors of our culture. Because of that, grief is necessary to the vitality of the soul. Contrary to our fears, grief is suffused with life-force… It is not a state of deadness or emotional flatness. Grief is alive, wild, untamed and cannot be domesticated. It resists the demands to remain passive and still. We move in jangled, unsettled, and riotous ways when grief takes hold of us. It is truly an emotion that rises from the soul.

~ Francis Weller: https://www.francisweller.net/

5 Likes

I love that Heather Diane, you can just feel the turmoil and inexplicable forces which do flow through us all. Thank you for drawing my attention to such a valuable and beautiful piece of writing.

Hope you are doing well.

Best wishes

Miche24

2 Likes

Thank you Miche - I truly felt this was worth sharing here. It has been 3 years for me and I still remember how overwhelming and out of control my grief was in the beginning. It was the most frightening and alone place I had ever been. It stripped me of all my defences, all my beliefs and left me screaming at the moon.
At some point I started to regain control of myself again. I worked (and still am) on healing myself. I remember the first day that I didn’t cry. I’d never known a person could shed so many tears, and it was such a relief to have a few hours surcease. I felt like I was taking back control of myself.
I’m doing well now. I’m learning to accept that this is my life. I made it through the terrible days and months when grief was all I knew.
This forum helped immeasurably. Gentle voices telling me that there was/would be a light at the end of the tunnel…and now I can see its faint glimmer…

2 Likes