Grieving Differently

Our younger son has been severely disabled since birth. He passed away unexpectedly on 29th May aged 41. My husband and myself have cared for him all his life and we are beyond devastated. We have been trying to support each other but unfortunately are both grieving differently.
I feel I just need to get through each day and don’t want to think beyond that. I am making an effort each day to get up get showered, do my hair, prepare meals and do a bit of housework and although I often I break down in tears I just want to get each day over .If someone mentions going out or planning something then I just fall apart, I don’t want to do anything as our son always came with us everywhere and I don’t want to do things without him.
My husband on the other hand doesn’t want to stay in the house, he wants to go out, plan holidays, go out for meals and this is driving us apart. I have tried to go out and once I’m out I go through the motions but when I get back and find that nothing has changed I break down and feel really upset.
Has anyone else experienced this?

2 Likes

Sorry for the loss of your son it must be so difficult for you both. Everyone grieves differently there are no rules or times scale . I expect your husband is just trying to get though it has best he can same as you. have you tried talking to your husband and telling him how you feel . Your son was a special person given to special parents and will always be your baby no matter how old he was or where he is. Take care and talk with your husband be there for each other at this dreadful time .xx

Thank you for your kind words. I think we are both trying hard to support each other and also staying strong to support our other son who is also struggling.
It’s not right to loose your child no mater what age they are and I can’t see myself ever feeling any better. He was our life and we did everything for him and with him, we miss him so much.
He certainly was special and despite all his difficulties always had a smile and packed lots into his 41 years. We have lots of happy memories but at the moment all I can think about are the terrible events of his last couple of days. Hopefully these will fade with time.

2 Likes