Guilt

I have experienced a great sense of guilt. In November I was seriously ill with sepsis & ecoli, I had a kydney stone that was stuck, at the time my husband wasn’t well but we didn’t know what was wrong. He took me to A&E, came to visit me every day. After the stent was removed on 19 December he picked me up and brought me home. We received the devastating news of his liver cancer on 22nd December. I was then caring for him until he passed on 13 January. He saved my life but I couldn’t save his😢

3 Likes

Don’t feel guilty, you cared for him and did the best you could. Liver cancer is really fast with few symptoms. My Dad died of liver cancer 3 years ago, he had just been given the all clear for prostate cancer and no one had noticed it had spread to his liver, he died 9 days after being diagnosed. Take care of yourself, big hugs xx

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, it reassures me that you shared your experience.

1 Like

No you shouldn’t feel any guilt . As we go through life we find it out it is just a game of roulette . All the we can do is live the best life possible in the time we have . All the best x

1 Like

@Autumnchild57 I felt guilty for months after my husband suddenly and unexpectedly died. My son rang me up to say that dad my husband had collapsed…I missed that phone call by 30 mins as I was Christmas shopping after work. Time I got home he was gone…age 53. Working the day before. Died of a PE and undiagnosed kidney cancer. I felt guilty that I didn’t notice that he had lost weight and was so ill. The guilt is getting less now but will have to live with the IFS and what’s. Take care… they say guilt is part of grief…Xx

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, yes I think men tend not to go to the doctors or let on how really unwell they are x

I think it’s natural to feel guilty when we’re not able to prevent bad things from happening to those we love. It leaves us feeling so powerless and we want to believe that if we had done something differently, maybe they’d still be with us.

I feel horribly guilty about the last interaction I had with my ex-partner before he died. It wasn’t a negative interaction, but I didn’t give him a hug because it was the first time I’d seen him since our breakup and I was trying to protect myself. I thought we’d eventually get back to the point of hugging, but I had no idea that we were out of time.

The question I asked myself is: Would you have hugged him if you’d known? And of course, the answer is yes. I would have done a tonne of things differently. But I didn’t know, because we can’t know, and it’s not fair to judge ourselves for that.

You did the best you could with the information you had. That’s all anyone can do :pray:

Sending love x

3 Likes