Guilty being happy

My mum and I moved in with my Nan and grandad when I was very young. My grandad was my favourite man in the whole world. He became me father and was the greatest man in my life. We lost him in 2012 and was devastated. After losing my grandad my relationship with my Nan improved and I always felt protective over her. We lost her 3 years ago. I’m getting married in July and the thought of doing it without them makes me not want to do it at all. My grandad should be walking me down the aisle and my Nan should be there to cry every time I try my dress on! As it’s getting closer, I’m feeling more sick and dreading how I’ll cope on the day.

Hi Bonnie,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost your nan and grandad. Congratulations on getting married - but it’s understandable that you’ll miss them more than ever around the time of your wedding.

Would it help you to think about ways that you could include them in your wedding day? Some people like to do things such as wearing a piece of their loved one’s jewellry, or having a little charm that you can put a photo in to hang in your bouquet. It sounds as though your grandparents loved you very much, and would be really happy for you.

I’m glad that you’ve found this Online Community, and I hope that it helps a little to have this place to share your feelings and get support from others who understand. While you wait for more replies to this post, I’ve found some other conversations that you might be interested to take a look at: