Help I keep getting flashbacks.

My great grandad passed on the 4th May he was 97 years old. I went to see him in the chapel of rest today and I didn’t know if I could do it. I didn’t dare walk into the room where he was. I had to go outside for a few minutes before I could go in. Since I’ve been getting flashbacks of him lay in the coffin. I can’t sleep. Please any advice would help.

1 Like

Dear Laurenjade,

It must have taken a lot of courage for you to go and see his body. Flashbacks are not uncommon, especially in the first few days or weeks. I was your age when my grandma died. My granddad wanted her body to be at their home until the funeral. This was many years ago and I can still remember how I felt after seeing her dead body. I have lost other loved ones since, and what has helped me is to make a deliberate effort to not let my mind dwell on the image of their body but instead to think of them when they were alive and well. At first, thatvis not easy, but gradually that last image fades away and happier memories will replace it. I hope that you have the love and support of your family and that joining this online community will also help you. xx Jo

1 Like

Hi there Jo! Thank you so much for this! The funeral takes place on Monday so hopefully I can remember all the happy times I had with him. Xx