Holiday alone?

Thsts nice for both of you to have a companion:) where in tenerife … me and my darling husband went a few times - always lovely weather there xx

2 Likes

Playa de las Americas - party central :partying_face: although we’re going adults only all inclusive so doubt if we’ll roam far from the hotel. But nice to have somewhere to stroll to of an evening. I’ve been to the resort a couple of times but not this particular hotel. I’m sure we’ll have a good time. How I miss planning holidays with John. He did love to get away at every opportunity so have some wonderful memories of the many holidays we had.

He won’t be far from my thoughts wherever I am.
All the best
Georgina xx

2 Likes

Oh right … we went near there - adeje i think thats how u spell.it and los christianos last time we went abroad just before lockdown … jeez how i will mss my holidays with him like i miss every other bloody thing in the world without him :frowning: its bloody crap ! Night

3 Likes

Thank you all for your replies :heart:On reflection, I’ve decided not to book that trip ( yet) I’m not sure if anyone feels like this? I get moments when I think “ okay, you can do this” only for moments later, to be back in that black hole?

I will park this up and revisit later.

Big hugs
Dottie xx💕

5 Likes

:slight_smile: you do whats best for you xxx

2 Likes

Hi Dottie. Yes, I am the same but I take it as a positive. At 12 weeks in I actually looked at flights the other day which I would not have contemplated a few weeks ago. I still only think about it and just a weekend away with the family was a bit daunting. But the fact that we even consider that we might one day is a positive step for now. X

6 Likes

Yeh besr not to rush into anything isnt it ? Dont forget … baby steps xx

3 Likes

I have done a lot of stuff since my husband died but holidaying alone is a big challenge for me. There are so many places we went to so will remind me of him. The sadness of this is too much for me.

3 Likes

Yeh i agree. I cant holiday without him … we had some lovely holidays in last 4 years too… i am so sad i cant do that with him anymore :frowning: i am gonna have to have a holiday at some point but thought of going alone fills me with dread ! Im gonna have to go with someone … xx

3 Likes

I have just come back from Puerto Pollensa, where i scattered some of my darling Pete’s ashes. It is a beautiful place that we both loved. I have a friend who lives there so i have visited with my husband and with my friend. She was very supportive but i went alone with the ashes to the place he loved to fish and taught our granddaughter to fish. It was bitter sweet for me but i did find some enjoyment during the holiday. Coming back to an empty house with no-one to chat about the holiday has been so hard though and I’ve been very sad. I’m still glad i went though

4 Likes

Oh wow what a lovely thing to do :heart: we loved Puerto Pollensa and was due to go back a second time but alas Covid came and our holiday was cancelled. It was one of my John’s favourite places and we planned to return the year he died. It just wasn’t to be. We did get away in between lock downs to Crete that was eight months before he died. So we did have a lovely last holiday together. I’m sure your husband would be so proud of you.

All the best
Georgina

3 Likes

Where is puerto pollensa ? Is it tenerife ? Did you stay with your friend ? Youre much braver than me but i applaud you x

1 Like

Hi there
Puerto Pollensa is in Majorca and it lovely. I’m off to Tenerife next week with a friend which I am really looking by forward to. I don’t really see myself as brave but after losing John I felt that I couldn’t carry on. But with the help of my lovely family and friends who have encouraged me I’ve been to the other side of the world on my own and this trip next week is my second without John. He’ll be with me all the way as he loved to travel - of course I’ll feel sad coz I should be going with him.

Best love
Georgina

2 Likes

Oh right i will remember that … if i ever get abroad again ! Loved going abroad with my husband :frowning: how long since your husband john passed away ? 6 months for me and still tough and i dont want to go on holiday without him :frowning: not at moment anyway xx

1 Like

Hi Debs
It was Easter 2021 when John had a cardiac arrest in bed beside me. I think of that awful night most days from when I tried to save him and the paramedics did the same. Three months for you is no time at all and I remember how broken I was but wi to my sons wedding fast approaching I dragged myself back to some sort of normal for him and the rest of the family. I still have bad days when I cannot see any good in my life and other good days when I do stuff with the grandchild. I volunteer twice a week at a local food bank and to make new friends who only know me and not my history has been life saving and at the same time helping others has made
me realise how precious life is.

No sugar coating it but it’s gonna be tough for quite a while yet but you do learn to live with this grief and sadly the sadness we feel never leaves us.

Chin up we’re all on this tragic journey together.

Georgina

4 Likes

I’m just finishing the first trip without my darling husband in over 40 years of holidaying together. He died in February and I’d cancelled all our retirement travel plans but decided I needed to escape to process what’s happened and spend time alone. I’ve travelled solo with a tour group to Canada and currently on the final leg of my Alaskan cruise. It’s been ok. Today has been the toughest day as I pack up and face returning alone but I’ve had so many signs he’s been with me every step of the way. This should have been our 34th wedding anniversary trip but it wasn’t to be. I can’t speak highly enough of the tour group I travelled with and the kindness and compassion of the people I’ve met along the way. I’m really glad I’ve done it. Miss my husband terribly but it’s given me the confidence I can do it - and will do it again. It will never be the same but I know he would have given anything to still be here and we so loved our travels. I now do it in his memory and feel his spirit with me in the epic scenery and experiences still left on our bucket list.

5 Likes

@Georgie15 @Deb5 and everyone. I went with my best friend and she was great. I have struggled since i got back , grief isnt linear. I’m sad I’ll never have those special holiday moments again with him sad we can’t set the world to rights or discuss our children and grandchildren again. Sending love to everyone.

3 Likes

@Alison61 , well done you that sounds amazing, your husband would be so proud of you.

2 Likes

Aw … a while ago then ! I can tell cos youre much more rational than some of us :wink: it was 6 months ago btw. My bereavment counselling is helping me but i still have teary days xxx

Yeh i know exactly how you are feeling xxx