Hopelessness

I lost my husband to Motor Neurone disease in February it has taken a long time to grieve properly but it would have been our wedding anniversary on 8 August and now I am so grief stricken it is unbelievable

Hi Sandy,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you have lost your husband. It’s not unusual for grief to hit harder some months after a loss - perhaps because the shock starts to wear off. And it’s also very common for special dates like your wedding anniversary to be particularly hard.

I’m glad that you’ve found this site, and I hope it helps a little to be able to share things here. You are among people who understand here. While you wait for more replies to your post, you may also wish to read and reply to some posts by other people who’ve also lost their husband or wife, for example:

Mac Des started this conversation: https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/my-wife-passed-away-after-long-illness

Ginny65 started this conversation: https://support.sueryder.org/community/life-after-bereavement/bed-time

If there’s anything I can help with, or you have any questions about the site, you can private message me, or email me on online.community@sueryder.org.

Priscilla
Community Manager

Dear Sandy
So sorry to hear about your husband passing away. I feel for everyone on this site as I kno they are feeling the grief that I am feeling at the moment. My son passed away just over 3 months ago and I am already worried about what to do about Christmas and then his birthday shortly afterwards. Christmas I will be quite happy to ignore and intend to do just this. I love Christmas but do not want to celebrate anything without my son. His birthday however is a harder thing to deal with, I do not want to ignore it as I think it is important to celebrate for him but am not sure how to handle it, I was thinking of having his friends round just to lift a glass to him but I know it will be very, very painful.
You must miss your husband so much, I hope you can find a way to celebrate that love in some small way, I think it is important to do whatever is right for you and I am sure your wonderful husband will be with you to honour that day.
Take care
Janet

Hello Sandy
Know what your feeling, I lost my wife to Motor Neurone Disease in April this year and understand what you have gone through. Please message me if desired. …John x