Hospice

I have elected to be treated in a hospice when my number is called, I just thought it would be so much easier for the carers and the professionals, rather than tripping over the dog or dodging the neighbours, like we do lol! In the meantime have been attending at a day hospice and got to know all the staff and other patients, it’s just one day a week and we meet for a few hours and then have lunch.not a bad way to spend the day.

1 Like

It sounds as though you feel like you’ve made the right choice for you. Good to hear that you are having a positive experience with the day hospice. The Sue Ryder hospices I have visited all seem like very caring and friendly places in very pretty surroundings.

Has anyone else got any experiences of hospices, or thoughts about being in a hospice vs at home, they’d like to share?

Yes, my wife attended the Charles Clore day hospice at West Berks Hospital. The nurses and staff there are absolutely fantastic. They were/ are my friends. Wife passed away in the rainbow room just down the corridor in July 2015. They gave both of us support to the end and I look forward to the day when I am strong enough to go and say thank you.

Thanks for your reply David, I was up there today and had a great meeting with staff and some other patients… hope you feel strong enough to come back to say hello soon, I’m sure everyone would appreciate it…and if you come on a Tuesday maybe I would get to meet you and have a decidedly dodgy lunch.lol

Hi David,

I’m so sorry to hear that your wife passed away last year. It is good to hear that both of you were so well supported by the hospice staff - it sounds as though that made a real difference.

It is understandable that you don’t feel strong enough to go back yet. I am glad that you have decided to post on this site, as many of our members do find it helpful to get support from others who have been through similar experiences.

If you’d like to talk more about your wife and about how you are doing now, please feel free to start a new conversation of your own any time.

You may also be interested in reading and replying to these recent conversations from people who have also lost their partners:
https://support.sueryder.org/community/life-after-bereavement/valentine’s-day-without-one-you-love
https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/still-missing-my-husband