How do I carry on

We lost our youngest daughter 6 weeks ago suddenly she was only 13 . I’m not coping as a dad I’m trying my best to support my wife when inside I’m screaming . Everything reminds me of her I can’t stop crying and so depressed.

1 Like

Hello @Sean1701 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community. I hope you find it to be a support to you, but I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter that brings you here.

You say you are feeling like you are not coping and screaming inside, and you are trying to support your family with their grief. I wanted to share some sources of support that might help you right now.

• Child Bereavement UK support families with the loss of a child. They also support bereaved children. You can call their helpline on 0800 02 888 40.

• The Compassionate Friends support families who have lost a child of any age. You can call them on 0345 123 2304

Sue Ryder also has some resources which can help you cope with grief.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.
Take care,

Alex

Hi Sean1701,

I am sorry for your loss. It’s such early days for you. It’s truly the worst thing that I can even think of happening. Nothing makes sense at all. I am 19 months down the path of this strange journey. I lost my 25 year old daughter to a cardiac arrest. I too could not see an end to the extreme sadness. But like I say it’s early days. Go with the grief, cry, scream whatever gets you through the day and night. Hated nights as sleep was never easy. Sometimes no words are needed…a hug can say much more. I preferred not talking and still don’t.

My thought are with you, here if you need to chat….:sunflower:

1 Like

Mrsmac

Thankyou so much for your reply .
Yes sleep is a problem right now thoughts racing through my mind. The what ifs etc. And yes I’m finding it very difficult to talk to anyone without bursting into tears like an infant. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you the emptyness and quiet without her is awful I just want to hear call out dad or her to run to me for a hug .I’ve never known pain like it.

Sean1701,

It’s good you can say this. I found it hard too as when I tried to speak all the advice from people came out. Time is a healer. Give yourself time. I hate time. The emptiness and knowing that you can’t just grab them and keep them safe . I think I felt so ill after the funeral…it’s a pain like no other a heavy pain in your stomach. Grief comes in many forms and we experience it so differently but the outcome of loosing someone is the same. We want them home.
Sleep or lack of it didn’t help. I did mindless tasks in the middle of the night like jigsaws or cleaning the oven or ironing stuff that required not too much thought. Go with it if you can, some days will be harder a lot harder than others. When you can have some counselling via sue Ryder, it allows you to talk about you and your daughter without being bombarded by others feelings. It helped me.

This is a poem that helped me too when I was deserted after the funeral. I hadn’t known anyone who had lost a child even though Laura was 25 she was and is my child.

Remember nothing is right or wrong and there is no time scale to how you feel now.

I was told that grief can be like a rucksack that’s so heavy in the beginning and then you adjust to the weight of it.
:sunflower:

Mrsmac

Thankyou so much for your reply .
Yes sleep is a problem right now thoughts racing through my mind. The what ifs etc. And yes I’m finding it very difficult to talk to anyone without bursting into tears like an infant. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you the emptyness and quiet without her is awful I just want to hear call out dad or her to run to me for a hug .I’ve never known pain like it.
[/quote]

Blockquote

Blockquote

Hi sean1701
I understand exactly how you feel we lost our precious daughter and only child 7 weeks ago she was 7 years old. I like you am at a total less I feel useless everything just reminds me she’s not with me and I don’t understand why. I’m just trying to get through each day as it comes even though I really don’t want to but I agree the silence is deafening. Sorry for your loss

Thankyou souch formyoi response I’m so so sorry for your loss also the pain is awful but please don’t go searching for answers as myself and my wife have found none. It’s so so hard I know trust me but you must pick yourself up and fight on. Because I’m sure your little princess would never want to see you suffering . I hope you get all the help you need . Because you will need it. Please take care of yourself.