How do you cope with a family member who is ill with cancer

Hello I was wondering how do you cope when you’re thinking about a family member who is ill whit prostate cancer and love football I have a real dad he died when I was 16 years old and I now 24 years old and I have his dad who is my granddad he loves to teasing me about football he Is a thotinham and I love arsenal and I was wondering how people cope thank you for reading this

Hi Star Wars,

I’m so sorry to hear that your dad died when you were 16 and that your grandad is ill with cancer. It sounds as though you are very close to your grandad and are finding it difficult to cope.

It may help both of you to cope if you can spend time with your grandad and be there for him. He may want to talk about what is happening, or he might prefer to keep things normal and take his mind off things by chatting about football as usual. Do you know if he is having treatment for his cancer?

If you have questions about his cancer, or just need to talk to someone, you might find it helpful to give Macmillan Cancer Support a call on their free helpline (0808 808 0000). Their nurses and other experts are really supportive and can give you lots of helpful information.

If you’d like to talk about the death of your dad, there are many supportive people here who understand what it’s like to lose a parent - you can check out some of the recent conversations in the Losing a Parent section of the site.

1 Like

Thank you

Take each day as it comes and do the things you want to do… Don’t let the cancer be all you think about when you see your loved one… If you do it will take over your mind, and trust me that’s not a place you want to be… My partner of 45 was diagnosed with it, and for a short while it destroyed every aspect of our family life… That’s cos I saw cancer before life… My dad died 6 Mth prior so was still raw, if cancer could destroy dad, it wasn’t going to do the same to me… Remember and if u can do, all the things that make yr relationship special, football, places , memories, music … Hope it gets better for you, my thoughts are with you xxxx