How to be there for my kids after losing my husband

I’m just looking for any advise to get me through as I’m really struggling.
My husband commited suicide 4 days ago, leaving me alone or bring up our kids. We only have one child together and she is 7 but I’m worried about her as I don’t think it’s quite set in yet, I think when we get back home on Sunday it will and I’m terrified, how do you get a child through this??

Hi Pringles1,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I am so sorry to hear that your husband has died by suicide. It sounds as though you are feeling very shocked, and it is understandable that you are scared.

Here are a few suggestions for supporting your child:

It is important that you get support for yourself, too, and give yourself a chance to grieve. I’m glad that you have found this Online Community, as many of our users find that it helps a little to be able to share their feelings and get support from others with similar experiences.

You may wish to read and reply to this recent conversation between several people who’ve lost their partners to suicide: http://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-death-loved-one/why

You could also contact Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide, an organisation which supports adults affected by suicide - they have a helpline, online support and local groups.

Hi I’m sorry to hear of your loss Im 8 weeks on from loosing my partner so I know what your feeling . If you need to talk xx