How to cope with work and emotions

Hi, my mom passed away 3 months ago. Just wondering if anyone else on here struggles with work? I’ve found work difficult anyway because of Covid, and it was really hard for me to go back to work. I’ve tried to be positive and embrace it, but it’s just getting harder and harder. I find the days I’m working (from home), it distracts me from my grief, but I spend those 3 days absolutely worrying about things and hating it. Then as soon as I’m on my days off, my grief hits me all over again and I spend the days crying. I’m just yoyoing between emotions at the moment and it’s becoming a struggle. I’ve tried conveying to my boss how I feel, but I don’t think she really understands.

Any tips on how to cope, would be gratefully received. Or if anyone’s going through something similar then please let me know.

Thanks

Hello Anna32hol,

I am so sorry that you are suffering in this way, it is a testimony to the love which you have for your Mum.

I wish I could give you some tips in coping with grief, I am 81 years old. As you will realise I have suffered the loss of many of those who I love, my beloved brother died 5 years ago, my friend of 72 years died 6 months later and the worst thing of all was when my husband of 59 years died, all of them were sudden deaths. I cannot say that I am coping well but one thing, I can say is as time passes the shock of the loss does tend to ease a little. I lost 3 people who I loved. within 3 years.

I do remember some wise words which are " Do not be sorry that he/she is no more, be thankful that he/she was". Obviously at my age I do not work, I am sorry that I cannot help in this respect.

Take one day at a time,

My very best wishes,

MaryL.

1 Like

Thank you so much, and so sorry for all your losses xx

Hi
I lost my mum suddenly 4 months ago and i struggle at work. I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but I thought I’d let you know you’re not alone. I’m not working from home, so I find it hard when I’m feeling really emotional. I’ve had to go to the toilet a lot to get my emotions under control because I really don’t want to breakdown at work. Most of the time I push it all down until I leave work. I won’t tell you how many times I cry as I’m driving home in these 4 months lol
I think all we can do it keep taking one day at a time and hopefully it’ll get easier with time.
Take care and don’t be too hard on yourself x

2 Likes

Thanks Lynn, I’m so sorry you’re struggling too. You’re right, all we can do is take it one day at a time. Thank you for sharing with me. Always here if you want to talk xx