How to help yourself readjust.

I’m not sure if this has been posted before. Just wanted to share.

How to help yourself readjust. Things to do…
Talk about the person who has died. It can be helpful to express your thoughts and feelings.
Look at photos, share stories, listen to music or start a journal when it feels helpful to do so.
Allow yourself to have times when you are distracted from your grief. Similar to working hard, you may need to take some time off from grief to keep you resilient.
Learn more about what to expect in your bereavement. Information can help your understanding and prevent unrealistic expectations.
Take one day at a time and don’t look too far ahead.
Tell yourself that you will get through this. Even though this may not seem possible now, there are many other grieving people who manage to navigate this experience.
Your loss will mean life will never be the same, you will never forget the person, there will always be reminders, but the pain will lessen. It can be helpful to decide that something meaningful will result from your loss.
Grief involves managing many practical changes and challenges. Try your best not to feel overwhelmed by these problems. Deal with each problem one at a time, accepting help and support where needed.
Setting yourself small, achievable goals can keep you going, give your life a little meaning and provide purpose and direction.
Where possible, avoid making big, irreversible changes or decisions within the first 6 to 12 months.

14 Likes

Hi @Alone1,

Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :blue_heart: I’m sure your words will bring comfort to others.

Take good care,
Alex

2 Likes

Thank you @Alone1
I talk about Viv as often as I can to anyone who will listen, (and to her) and what she meant to me and the things we did together. I’m constantly looking at the photo’s and videos we accumulated over the last 25 years, sharing thoughts and listening to music that means so much to me. I know that I will never forget her, as she meant so much to me. I feel now, as you say, that life will never be the same and that after what is now 3 years I am starting to, in my own way, come to terms with it.

3 Likes

Great advice !!! You know its funny … talked about my husband who passed, only 3 months ago :frowning: a lot today to his brother, and as lovely as he was i think he was suprised how much i mentioned him … but i dont care - i love talking about him - makes him real cos he was and also hes still in my heart :heart:

3 Likes

This is one of the best threads I’ve read for a long time. It should be compulsory reading. Well done @Alone1

3 Likes