Humanist funeral

Hello. Is it just me but is a humanist funeral more special than a religious funeral. This is what I had for my mum. It felt more special and as an atheist it was appropriate at the time. My mum didn’t belief In god and neither did my dad. We both chose together songs that my mum loved and adored I still play the songs today.
The humanist who helped guide us performed a excellent celebration of my mum and it’s one I will never forget. Has anyone had the same experience of a humanist funeral.
Everything has their own personal way of remembering a mum. It’ll live in my broken heart forever

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for the loss of your Mum. I’ve not been to a humanist funeral but I feel that it sounds so special and personal. And as your parents didn’t have religious beliefs, I also think it feels less like having a religious service because it was expected, which I also feel is respectful to the Church. I think that a good experience of a funeral can help us in the grieving process, and I hope this can be the case for you. Xx

1 Like

A few years ago, my hubby & I decided on private funerals.
Neither wanted people coming out of the woodwork when they hadn’t been in contact before (or after). That’s not showing respect.

Myself & our children each wrote a memory of him - good or bad- and the celebrant read them out for us.
Tears & laughter to the few important persons at the service.
Music from his cd collection.
More intimate & very personal to us.

G. X

Yes a normal funeral is mixed with religion is way to depressing as it is. Im grieving and with a humanist I can actually connect more. It’s the most perfect way to grieve properly and celebrate my mums life

2 Likes

@Steven Yep, we had that for my Dad & it was perfect. It was all about him. Funny & sad. The celebrant was wonderful. He made a difficult day better. I can however see why people choose the direct cremation route @Nori. It makes sense, over & done with. Lessens the whole distress. X

2 Likes

My husband was a Druid and so obviously a church funeral would have been totally out of the question. In the end myself and my daughter found a Natural Burial Site not too far away where we were able to have a celebration of his life rather than involving anything really morbid. It was held on the site under a marquee where food and drink was available, most of the food being related to Scotland as Keef loved Scotland, we had haggis sausage rolls, black pudding and Scottish cheese with malt whisky in. We also played a cd which he’d made me years previously of mainly punk type music. The celebrant read out a speech I had written and others spoke including my daughter. Although it was in many ways a very sad day I felt it was the best way to honour him and the person he was, he loved walking, photography and wildlife so he was placed in the wicker thingy wearing his walking boots and his druid cloak. Sad but lovely at the same time.

1 Like

We had a civil celebrant for my sons at a natural burial site, It was supposed to be immediate family only and even then I struggled with in laws who have never visited us in the 20 years we lived here coming to the house. The service was lovely though and we were not time restricted, so we went to the site before and put up pictures, and afterwards sat for awhile.

2 Likes

The thing about humanist funeral is you feel as though you are not under any pressure to sing religious hymns to a god that doesn’t exist. You can choose your own songs that mean something.

1 Like

@nori hubby died 18 months ago and we had pure cremation, wonderful people and highly recommended. like you i think funerals are a waste of time and money and personnally think its just an excuse to show off to people and say things that might not be true about the person. spend the money on the person when they were alive. i am afraid i put a post on FB that had words to the effect of “sorry to tell you hubby has died, there will be no funeral, he had no insurance therefore there will be no money, so dont bother asking”