Humanist funeral

Hello all
When I lost my mum my dad said to me let’s not have a normal church funeral with no religion hymns how about a humanist funeral. I thought what a lovely original idea. We planned it right down to how we were going to give my mum what she deserved.
On the day we had a humanist a guy who did exactly what we wanted with songs my mum loved. Though it was the most horrific day of mine and my dad’s life we will never forget my mum and the love she gave us. I miss her with all my heart and all my soul. Love you so much mum

1 Like

Hi Steven,
My wife’s funeral was also carried out by a humanist celebrant. We were not religious people and my wife didn’t leave any specific instructions. The celebrant’s name was given to us by the undertaker and she was wonderful. She visited us at home a few days after my wife passed and spent a few hours with us, just sitting chatting about her hobbies, likes, dislikes, childhood etc and then walking around the house and garden with us asking about my wife as we pointed out little features (ornaments, photos, plants etc) that meant a great deal to us/her.
The resulting tribute she prepared absolutely summed her up perfectly. On the day she delivered it beautifully and made sure every last detail was just perfect. It was, of course, an incredibly tough day, but we took so much comfort from knowing we had done her proud.

1 Like

Hiya, I totally agree. We had never discussed funerals or any of that so when Alan passed away suddenly and without warning I had no idea what to do. He was a fully paid up atheist though so I knew that anything remotely churchy was out! I chose a humanist celebrant and he was absolutely fantastic. The whole service had Alan written all over it. Brilliant music. Funny, touching and quirky. Of course it was a bit surreal for me ( we were planning our wedding the day before he died and here I was at his funeral) but everyone ( almost everyone: the church going auntie’s weren’t super keen on Highway to Hell ) said it was amazing. Thinking back now, I am so happy with the decisions I made and I am so grateful for the support from Richard the celebrant who guided and supported me through it all. x

2 Likes

Hi. we had a humanist funeral for my wife and it was such a celebration of her and her life. So many who attended or saw on line have told me they now wish a humanist service for themselves

2 Likes