I lost my son aged 26

My son needed open heart surgery on the 11th January 2024 after it he was put on life support as there was a bleed but the next morning he came off it and was fine 5 days later he came home i was there and we talked and had banter like we always did then i went home about 2 hours after i left him with his wife he had a massive heart attack and died instantly on 16th January 2024 it still doesnt feel real i was still grieving from losing my dad on the 11th November 2023 even though that was hard as i was close to him and we talked and laughed the night before he went to sleep and never woke up but the pain off losing a child is so.much worse as no parent should ever lose a child its the wrong way round and just not right at all

4 Likes

Hello Buttons

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community. I’m so sorry to hear about your son. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few resources with you that may help right now.

You might also want to reach out to:

• Child Bereavement UK support families with the loss of a child. They also support bereaved children. You can call their helpline on 0800 02 888 40.

• The Compassionate Friends support families who have lost a child of any age. You can call them on 0345 123 2304

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care, Rhi

I lost my son following open heart surgery too. He never got to leave the hospital as he caught pneumonia and mrsa which turned to sepsis. It was an undignified ending for such a beautiful soul, brain dead and all his organs failed. We all thought he would recover like he had before, it was awful.

1 Like