I miss my Dad

I miss my Dad so much.
It’s been over a year now. He died so suddenly and so far away.

I’m looking for videos of him speaking or just photos. I desperately want to connect with him. I want to hear his words.

Sometimes I think he is alive, but only miles away. The death just doesn’t feel real.

Tonight, I thought “it’s been a while since we spoke, I’ll text Dad”. And then I realised that I can’t and won’t ever be able to. I crumbled. It’s so painful. Will it ever get easier?

2 Likes

I’m just giving this thread a gentle bump for you, @Jellyfish :blue_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much :heart:

Hi my dad died december then my aunty in january. i miss my dad so much . Im here if you need to talk

2 Likes

Sending you a massive hug. I miss my dad so much too, it’s nearly 3 years since he died. He was sick with cancer for about 4 months & then he was gone, it all felt so fast. I know exactly what you mean about it not feeling real, I still feel like that often.
I do get comfort from looking at photos, my dad had absolutely loads & my mum’s passed most of them on to me. There’s photos of him as a little boy, with me when I was small (he doted on me) , & many happy memories of family days out & holidays.
Try to remember all the happy times you shared, I’ve found it really does help (a little bit).

1 Like

It’s so wonderful to read about the beautiful memories you share with your Dad. This is really comforting.
It’s so good to know that the “not real” feeling is not unusual.
I am inspired by you and thank you so much for your support. I’m very grateful.

1 Like

Hello there,
How are you coping?
I’m sorry your Dad and Aunty have died.
For the first few months after my Dad died I copied well, but then I didn’t cope so well. The Sue Ryder video counselling really helped me process lots of things, the grief and family issues that arose alongside the grief.

I’m here as well if you want to talk. Sending you big hugs. Xx

Hello,
I am unfortunately new here, I lost my grandfather and father at the beginning of the year suddenly. I too was doing well (as you can be!) at the start but now 3/4 months in it seems a lot harder! It’s all a bit strange and unbelievable x

1 Like

Hello there
I’m sorry to hear your father and grandfather died so recently.
Grief comes in waves and having a support system (like this forum) or friends/family/community etc will help ride the waves.
We are here to support you.

Sometimes sharing memories that make you smile helps. It takes away some of the pain for a moment.

I have good days and less good days. I try to stick to a daily routine and make sure I get some fresh air everyday. Even if it’s only a few minutes outside or opening a window.
Being around nature helps remind me of the circle of life, birth and growth from new shoots and dried brown leaves at the end of their life. Both in nature together.

Before my Dad died he tried to prepare me for the inevitable day my parent(s) would die. He said,“death is part life. Everyone will experience it and when your parents die, you will find the strength from within to cope and there will be people around you to support you. Those people could come from unexpected places “.

This advice brings me comfort, so I wanted to share it with you.

1 Like

I’m finding it hard now. I broke down yesterday was missing my dad so much

1 Like

I understand those moments. I have them quite often. Sometimes breaking down feels like a relief.
I’ve been told that breaking down and crying is a healthy way of letting the grief out. It took me a while to understand this and feel okay about it.

I hope you are feeling better today.
We are here to support you.

I’m so sorry that we are all on this journey together. I find this site very helpful.

I had a breakdown two days ago and it kind of released lots of pressure and maybe I’m a bit more acceptant of the whole situation.

I hope you’re all coping as well as you can x

1 Like

New to this page. Lost my father in November suddenly after being taken to hospital with something he had been in with a few times before so just thought routine. To us it was sudden as was expecting him to be home again. With so much else going on have found it hard to process and grieve. So many other personal things going on too just feel numb with my grief and feel guilty for not grieving “properly”
We didn’t have a funeral so no chance to say goodbye and have struggled with this.

1 Like

Hello there
Loosing someone so suddenly is very difficult.
I also had a few personal things going on when my Dad died. It was after a year that I started to grieve properly.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. You will grieve at the right time for yourself. Sometimes we feel “numb” in order to protect ourselves from getting overwhelmed.

I found the Sue Ryder video counselling really helpful to process the grieve. They knew exactly what to say Anne how to help me navigate it. When you are ready that could be an option for you.

I’m going on holiday Monday.i feel so bad about going . I no my dad would want be to go but feel bad