I still miss my Step Mum

My lovely crazy step mum passed away last year after a long battle with cancer. She had her both breasts removed in two different operations. I went to every hospital appointment with her and we were so happy that she’d been given the all clear, only to find out a few months later it had spread to her bones. My dad and her we’re always laughing and joking about, which she never lost. I nursed her during her last few weeks, slept on the floor next to her bed, held her hand when she took her last breath. I miss her. My kids miss their Granny . All my dad does now is watch YouTube, drink pints of tea and chain smoke! We still have a giggle, but he’s lost his sidekick. I miss the inappropriately timed miss spelt texts. Getting not just one but 3 or 4 home made birthday or Christmas cards. I miss her laugh and hugs. I wish I could have done more and she didn’t have to suffer like she did. It was heartbreaking watching her slowly slip away.
It’s coming up to her birthday on the 13th. I know it’s going to be hard.

1 Like

Hello @SybilVimes,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your stepmum. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

I’m so sorry for your loss. Sending virtual hugs.