Insensitive Letter

I’m sitting here crying, it’s so silly. Just had a letter from the council asking me if I am still living on my own and am I still entitled to sole occupancy discount.
Is it just me but it feels so insensitive considering they were informed last March 2021 by the tell us once service my husband had died.
It has really upset me to think that they think he could ever be replaced. :broken_heart:
I was so cross I’ve just emailed the council, I know they have a job to do, but really doing a review after such a short time.
I think it would have been more acceptable if they had rang me instead of sending a standard form.
If I could just turn back the clock I wouldn’t be on my own, if only.

3 Likes

Dear @Debbie57

The problem with big organisations is lack of communication within their departments and correspondence is not always handled by the same person.

The Council could have used a different choice of words and asked if there has been any change in your household or occupancy since last year (for instance children finishing Uni and have come back home to live). It is good that you have emailed the Council and hopefully this will make them aware of their wording and how it can upset people.

Letters are standard and auto-generated and Councils do not have time to ring people unfortunately. I am sorry for the way you are feeling. Please do not take it personal,
put it down to bad choice of words, communication and auto-generated letters.

Take care.

Pepsi

2 Likes

I know how you feel Debbie I had a similar problem I told my housing association that my husband had died but they didn’t tell the department that deals with housing costs so they kept saying there was two people living here and I couldn’t get any benefit took 3 months to get sorted . It really upset me I even sent a copy of death certificate and still they didn’t believe me . It’s OK now all sorted but it caused me a lot of stress at a time when I didn’t need it.

1 Like

Thank you both, I think I’m just a little over sensitive at the moment. Just broken up for school holidays so not at work, always feel low in holidays as I have more time to think and it’s our wedding anniversary soon. :heart:

3 Likes

I sympathize with you over the housing association, mine took 6 months, before they changed the tenancy to my name only, then they came to service the boiler and addressed the letter to Doug. Hopeless.

1 Like

Hi Debbie, I feel for you. I returned home on Wednesday, after staying with my daughter for a few days following my husband’s funeral last week,to a notice to quit the property letter from my council. Thankfully my daughter had driven me home and was here to support me. I have been living here for almost 15 years and we would have been celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary later this month. I now have to wait until the end of next week to get confirmation of whether my claim as successor to the tenancy is accepted. Just what I don’t need right now.

1 Like

Hi Valerie, I hope you get it sorted quickly. It’s not just a house it’s the home you shared, all the hopes and dreams, memories and where you built a life together.
This is what they don’t understand.
Thinking of you - Debbie X X

@Debbie57, you are going through a tough time, we know only too well on here. You are not being oversensitive- you are being honest and feedback to the Council on the way they communicate can help their service improve. They can change the way they ask questions like this, with appropriate caveats, etc. I know what it is to feel low, too. I hope your weekend goes well.

1 Like

You are welcome and it is understandable. Please continue to reach out and if this helps you, you could share photos of your wedding on your wedding anniversary.

Take care.

Pepsi

1 Like