Is it normal not to cry?

I lost my partner 2 weeks ago and 2 days later lost my lovely mum. Is it normal to just feel numb? I want to cry but can’t.

4 Likes

@Macie

I am so sorry for your losses, bless you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Your feelings are completely normal. You’ll feel feelings and emotions that you have never experienced before, they will fluctuate and be intense at times.

I’m glad you’ve found us, this is a safe place to let our your feelings. People on here are supportive and truly understand. Keep reaching out, there is always someone to talk to and there is no judgement.

Sending lots of love and strength xx :heart::purple_heart::heart:

3 Likes

I think that there is no normal. I lost my wife 6 months ago… i feel bereft and empty but seldom cry. Others in the family start to cry as soon as her name is mentioned. I felt guilty not crying at first, then realised what others thought didnt matter. Im crying inside all the time… everytine i see her photo i find it so tricky to think she is no longer here.

5 Likes

Completely understandable to feel numb and empty. I’ve had three losses within a 5 week period, and I have felt numb and empty
, where all the feelings are so overwhelming, I don’t know what I’m feeling sometimes

4 Likes

Of course it’s normal We are all very different Sometimes people cry but they are not really so upset others don’t cry but their heart is breaking No rules in grieving

2 Likes

There is no right or wrong in grief we are all individual, I am only just over 3 weeks in and i cry all the time. But i remembered my neighbour losing her husband and after the first few days she never cried. I remember her asking if it was nirmal. Xxxx

2 Likes

Hello Macie

I could not cry for many days after my brother died, but then it hit me hard. Sorry, it will come. It might be best to talk to some friends. I didn’t and I wished I had.

Nick

2 Likes

I didn’t cry for ages and felt so guilty but boy is it coming in floods now 1 year on…
Shock is one of the reasons it’s a huge trauma that our body and mind have to cope with…
Sorry for your losses 🩷

4 Likes

Do whatever feels natural for you Tears are just tears if crying is helping you , well do it . If you don’t cry doesn’t matter you still loved that special person It’s your grief your person who died Blessings be yourself

3 Likes

if I’m on my own in the flat I’m quite emotional and still am. It be a year since I lost my mum. Memories trigger me and I’m full of them after 50 odd years with my mum. Even worst as I am having to deal with Myaloma cancer too.

3 Likes

I have just lost my mum after a long illness. I thought i would be crying more than i am. And family and friends keep commenting on how surprisingly strong i appear. I am worried it means i didnt love my mum or dont care about her as much as i thought i did. But , I know this is not true, my mum meant so much to me.

5 Likes

Hello so sorry for the loss of your mum it’s really hard losing a parent I lost both my mum dad and partner recently…
I think you answered your question of course you loved her… but grief and shock are linked… I felt exactly as you do when my partner died it’s been a year now and the tears did finally catch up with me… be kind to yourself your mum would be so proud of you…
sending a hug your not alone x

4 Likes

Yes. You never know when something particular will make you cry.

I’m sure your mum knew, I lost my mum in August last year. I been through those teary days too, not doing much. So we all know we’re you are coming from with the loss of your mum. Hope you feeling a little bit better today, you will have your good and bad days, stay strong. Sending hugs in your time of grieve!

2 Likes

Im on antidepressants (mertazipine) and im wondering …are they are stopping me from crying??
I feel like im not as emotional as i thought i would be since she died.
Ive been on them for 20 days now.
My mum died 9 days ago. She was poorly before she died.
The antidepressants are working already , i am eating and sleeping, where as before i wasnt.
My mum meant the world to me.

1 Like

Sorry for your losses. People handle things in different ways. My Dad who was my best friend passed away just before Christmas and although I have cried, I haven’t cried very much at all. I have had moments of loneliness and anger more than tears. It doesn’t mean you’re abnormal or uncaring, we just all react differently.

2 Likes

My darling husband died 10 months ago. I didn’t cry. Partly due to anti depressants I think but also due to my brain going into denial. Threw myself into renovating the house, going out, working, being busy. Everyone said I was “coping so well”. The last couple of months the grief has hit me like a train and I can’t stop crying. There is no timeline on grief.

2 Likes