Is there a afterlife?

I’m not sure you know. I think I may stay with family because it’s on a Friday. I was thinking of having like a memorial party to celebrate his life so we can all talk about the memories we had. Phil would have loved that. I hope yesterday wasn’t too bad for you but then again every day is spent by me thinking of Phil

It wasn’t too bad dad was elderly and had lived his life to the full, my difficulty is the death of my best friend who committed suicide two years ago, that’s tough especially as he was a vicar and suicide is supposed to be a big no no. I used to enjoy our friendship sitting round a log fire drinking port eating fine French cheeses and debating religion and philosophy. Ironically it was his belief in the supernatural/religion that was his undoing, he was depressed but refused medication, he and his wife (also an ordained minister) believed I think that they could pray the depression away of course they couldn’t, hence he ended up dead at 53.

Its good that your dad lived life to the full. Phil died when he was 63. Old in the way that kids think about things but not that old in our terms. I think Phil knew he wouldnt live to a great age because I was always saying once I retire we can do this and that and the other and he didnt really get drawn. I am 60 but dont feel it although I would like to reduce my hours in work now. I can understand what you say about your best friend. I think that suicide is never cut and dried I think that our minds are sometimes very fragile. He was probably having all thoughts running through his head and couldnt stop them. Depression is an awful thing as well. I have suffered with it on and off for years. I am trying to keep the black dog away with Phil passing over but sometimes it overwhelms me and I cannot stop crying. I have thought about the unthinkable but I couldnt do it to my family because they would be heartbroken and also I honestly feel I would be too scared. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Life always throws something at you good or bad I hope I dont have any bad things happen for a while

I’m sending a big hug your way :heart:

1 Like

Aww thank you. Same to you. We never know what’s round the corner and it’s a cliché but true we all think it won’t happen to us but I now realise life can change in a heartbeat. Take care

Annette, I am convinced there is an afterlife. My Wife, who passed away in December 2016, was a Spiritualist medium. Since her passing, I have been to the Spiritualist church and had a message from her.
I know that she is around me all the time and has helped me with things, but sometimes, when I am having a really bad day, when I am thinking that I should be with her, I ask her to tell me what to do, I don’t get a reply to this question. I just wish, that now my Wife is in the spirit world, that she could give me all the answers.
I totally believe in spiritualism, but that is just my personal opinion, but just as a suggestion, I would say go to a Spiritualist church, on an evening when they have a medium and see what comes through, then you can decide as to whether you would like to go again

I could say an awful lot here woody but it would be neither kind nor fair, if it makes you happy ok but if you want a truthful real explanation at any point may I suggest the website called bad psychics, loads of relevant information and a real eye opener.

Adey67,
I have read in a previous post , that you say you are an Atheist, therefore, have no belief in any faith. I find it strange then, that you condemn other people’s beliefs and faiths, when you have none of your own. How does the saying go " Practice what you preach " so I don’t see that you have anything to preach, as you have no faith. So leave other people to their own faiths and their own beliefs

I’m sorry dude but last time I checked not believing in something doesn’t mean you cannot have an opinion on something. I don’t do drugs does that mean I can’t have an opinion on drug use ? Your post makes no sense.

Also I didn’t condemn anyone’s beliefs, I would actually fight for a persons right to believe what they want but in return I expect the right to express my disbelief especially as the title of this thread is do you believe in an afterlife. If you are secure and happy in your belief system and gain comfort from it as you seem to be it shouldn’t really matter or bother you one jot what some random guy on the internet thinks.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick reminder that our Community Guidelines ask all users to be supportive and keep discussions friendly.

It’s fine to debate and disagree, but please keep it respectful. Remember that everyone here is going through their own grief and emotions may be running high.

In the interests of a safe and supportive environment for all our users, posts that break the guidelines may be removed or threads closed - but let’s all try to avoid that if possible.

If you see a post that you think may break the guidelines you can report it to me in confidence by using the ‘report’ button under the post, or emailing online.community@sueryder.org.

Thank you for your understanding.