It’s been six months since mum passed

My mum passed away 6 months ago of stage 4 lung cancer. It’s only been 6 months but it feels like a life time. I don’t want to let go of her belongings it’s hard. I wear her coat everyday. i have a dad and a brother but i don’t feel close to them or supported by them at all. It makes me feel so alone and sad at times. I came to my mums house to start the process of selling her house. I have not been here in months so it really took me by surprise when i broke down in tears. Some days i don’t feel like being alive any more but i’m not suicidal. It’s hard to explain. I knew there would be a time that friends and family would stop asking how i am. It’s horrible i have not stopped grieving but the world around me has moved on. I miss my mum so much i feel so lost without her.

3 Likes

Dear @Rhi24

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your um. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and will understand what you are going through.

I am sure someone will be along to offer their support but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources that might be of support and help to you.

Please continue to reach out. You are not alone, we are all here to support you.

Take care.

Pepsi

Good afternoon.o lost both my parents 9 years ago I’m March my dad got diagnosed with cancer in feb off 2014 .on 7th March he went in to hospital for a rest on the 8th match my mum had a heart attack and died.i had to go up the hospital and tell a man who was dying his best mate and wife off 38 years was dead.mine and dad’s birthday 16th cremated mum on the 24 I was in hospital with dad on the 28th and he died then.mums birthday 31st.have just split with my partner 3weeks ago off 17 years because I felt I was going to explode with grief.first time I’ve spoken about.if anyone needs to chat please message me don’t let it eat you like it ate me

Hi,
Sorry for your loss, my mum died in 2017 and at times I do feel like I’m back in that frozen stage of grief. She was sick for so much of my childhood and for my twenties my entire life was on hold for the trauma and grief. I can really empathise with you, it’s such a shit time and life getting in the way of grief makes it more difficult.
As someone who is a little bit further down the line your feelings will get more context, it won’t feel like you’re just lost in the woods- or at least that’s how it felt. I genuinely kept my mum’s coat for months because it smelled like her and I couldn’t let it go. Death is hard enough to live with and life continuing going on is so hard, Grief just takes it’s own time, and just know it does get easier to live with.
I am wishing you all the best, it must be so difficult selling the house so I hope it goes smoothly. I hope you know you’re absolutely not alone.