It's the little things

I still have Hubby’s toothbrush next to mine, his watch on his bedside table and his dressing gown behind the bedroom door, I wear it sometimes and can still smell him on it. His hobby was clay pigeon shooting but I had to get rid of his guns immediately due to the licencing laws. Broke my heart to have them taken away as he spent hours stripping and polishing them, they were his pride and joy :cry: silly thoughts come into my head like ‘When he comes back he’s going to be so mad at me letting his guns go’ :roll_eyes: stupid I know as he will never be coming back :sob:

I still have Clive’s dressing gown as well. It’s on the hook on the bedroom door. Every now and then I’ll give it squirt of the cologne he used to wear and then I can smell him whilst I’m in bed. I used to make fun of home sometimes for wearing “perfume” but he loved it so there are quite a few bottles of it, hopefully it will last a very long time, if I use it sparingly, because it feels very comforting to be able to smell his scent.

Snap! I do the same with Colin’s favourite ‘Roadster’ after shave. I spray some on his pillow so it’s like he’s asleep next to me and I wake up to the familiar smell :sob: not that it helps any but I still like to do it. Glad someone else is as daft as me :wink:

Hi Skywise so sorry about Clive. Doug had a motorbike it went to his son but l had film of it on my phone and l used to play it but then l lost my phone. I have opened a new packet of his hankies last week l couldn’t stand them just sat in the drawer. Night x

Oh my gosh you lot you have me in tears but I agree with everything you are saying. I spray Brian’s aftershave on his pillow and forgot that I still wear his watch. So I’m daft as well.
Among many things Brian was a musician and His guitars were still in the house and I didn’t know what to do with them. I thought it such a waste to leave them in the loft so I decided to sell them along with many other musical instruments he played. One buyer sent me a lovely A4 photo of his favourite guitar that he had played on stage for 30 years, all pristine and going back to work again. This did give me some comfort and I like to think that Brian is with his guitar up on stage again. I’m certain his spirit will follow his beloved instrument.
xxxx

1 Like

One item i shall never get rid of that Richard brought with him from home to home was his mothers wooden weather barometer - thermometer in a teardrop shape…I know how much this meant to him although when he brought it with him to our forever home back in Bedfordshire, it was placed in our hallway, i have to admit i thought these items to be old fashioned but he had also brought it to this home and it is up on his bedroom wall and will be one of the only two items in his bedroom, the other is a framed William Grandison golf course which i had bought for one of his past Christmas presents which he loved to play golf with his three - four golf buddies yet this framed photo, its golf course has no significance with him just a lovely golf course framed photo print which i shall now cherish and remember Richard by, it will come with me to wherever my next home will be, God willing…

Jackie…

1 Like

The possessions they loved are so precious. I know the type of barometer you me Doug had one in his workshop and l can hear him tapping it now. It’s lovely to be able to share these memories as often you receive a negative response if you try to share memories.

Personally l think he will be there rocking along, l like to think of Doug riding his bike somewhere the think he loved the most.

Yes it does help a little to visualise them still doing the things they loved doing. Brian loved his allotment and the place in general, always doing jobs around the place. I still look for him coming along the path. When I work on his plot I can feel him looking over my shoulder and saying “Just checking”. He was incredibly fussy and we just couldn’t work together in the garden, although we are both keen gardeners. I know he will be keeping an eye on me. xxxx

1 Like

Clive was the same about his garage/workshop/man cave. I wasnt allowed in there unsupervised in case I moved something. I was in there the other day looking for a screwdriver and could almost hear him muttering because I was ferreting around in his tools.

I was thinking of building myself a guitar from scratch using his tools - he has every power and hand tool known to man and I’m sure I could learn to use them - that way I can justify keeping them when the “You really should get rid of those” comments start!

Stan had a little corner in the dining area, I haven’t touched it since he passed away. He used to enjoy painting and he was good, excellent with some of his work, the week before my 80th birthday, he started a painting and I was told by a friend that he was doing it for me for my birthday. Our daughter asked if she could have it, of course, I said yes, I didn’t know that it was intended for me. I haven’t had the heart to say anything to her. She and our son have been so kind and helpful to me and she would probably have it when I have joined Stan. I still haven’t dealt with his clothes yet, there they are just as he left them.
Love
MaryL x

Yes l can often hear Doug muttering in my ear if l am up a ladder or using one of his tools telling me to be care full x

1 Like

Mary…
… a tricky one, but you could drop a hint to your daughter that if you was to have that painting it would make you feel closer to her father, your Stan, she may get the hint and offer it back to you until it is time for her to have it back for keeps…

1 Like

Thank you, Jackie,
I was wondering how to get round it. x

Dear V,
Thank you for your reply, I shall enjoy being in the company of others even if I don’t enjoy the Bingo. Goodness if the caller is too quick, I shall probably miss most of the numbers, as I have said before, I have always been too nervous to learn to drive. My friend does not like driving in the dark, it will be quite a while before we venture into to our next town, probably just as the
next dark nights are upon us. I am thinking of joining something or other before next winter. Hark! at me, this winter isn’t over. It is very cold here today, it is no hardship staying indoors. I was pretty bad over the week-end, the loss of Stan keeps hitting me freshly. I wasn’t too bad until it was Stan’s birthday, my late brother’s the day after and our childrens’ less than a week after Stan’s at least our daughter’s was and our son’s exactly one week later than his dad’s. I think it was all too much for me to cope with.
Take care,
Love and Blessings to all of you.
MaryL x