Just One More Day (Poem by Jessica Hodges)

Alan,
If I had just one more day…
I’d tell you I loved you.
I’d tell you I need you.
I’d tell you that you were the best thing that ever happened to me.

I’d give you that one last hug.
I’d give you a kiss goodbye.
I’d give you my world.

I’d show you how much I really loved you.
I’d show you why I loved you.
I’d show you why I NEED you.

My life is so lost without you here.
Please come back, for just one more day…

12 Likes

Dear Sad

So many of us will identify with those words. Thank you for sharing the poem. If is a small word with such a powerful impact.

Take care. x

1 Like

I never got the chance to say goodbye to Alan and tell him how much I loved him.
I just got the dreaded phone call 44 weeks ago today.
I miss him so much.

2 Likes

@sad2 hi sad that poem is beautiful and says all that we are all feeling. Thankyou for sharing. I’m so sorry you didn’t get to say goodbye. I know how that feels. I got the dreaded call as well. Take care sending love and hugs x

2 Likes

Lovely words and
so true,if only we could,just one more day

Thank you for sharing

Christine x

2 Likes

Lovely poem @sad2.
I never got to say goodbye, my Marti ventilator was turned off. The doctor ask if I wanted to visit him, but I couldn’t, I just couldn’t see him, I want to remember him when he was alive and well, happy and very cheeky. My son and daughter in law said goodbye to him.My son has flashbacks of how his dad looked when ventilator was turned off.
I’m really struggling without my Marti, devastated, the pain is overwhelming.
I have support from great friends, I wouldn’t be here without them, I honestly wouldn’t.
Take care and sending hugs
Amy x

2 Likes

@Amylost hi Amy I am so sorry you didn’t get to say goodbye to marti. After the doctor called to say pauline had passed she said I could go and see her. But I didn’t go and didn’t see her in the Chapel either. I didn’t want to see her like that because I knew that it would stay with me and be the way I remembered seeing her. I was with my mum when she died and I was 13 and when I think of her that’s how I see her and I couldn’t let that happen with pauline. The last time I saw pauline she was smiling at me and we spent the whole visit holding and caressing eachothers hands. So that’s the picture I wanted to keep. You take care Amy sending love and hugs x

2 Likes

That poem was really lovely it hit a few nerves as some things were same. I had not seen my Alan for 2 weeks in hospital until his final 2 days due to covid. He didn’t have covid but so strict it was awful and only seen him 30mins 1 day next day he was dying was so sad as that was his last day. Me and my daughters were there at the end it was terrible. Really was sad but lots of imagines flash past and I see him thankfully. Xx

1 Like

Dear Ang1949.
I’m so sorry for your loss. I can imagine how dreadful it was for you and your daughters to see Alan die. I experienced the same when both my mum and sister died.
I was only allowed virtual visits as Alan had Covid, and the last time I saw him was on the Saturday. I was waiting patiently for my virtual visit on Sunday, but got the phone call. I never got to see him all the time he was in hospital. I never even had the chance to tell him I loved him before he died, but I tell him everyday and hope he can hear me.
Take care xx

3 Likes

Oh sorry to read this it’s so cruel isn’t it Alan didn’t have covid but same rules applied. I feel so sad and robbed all our plans undone. Life will never be as it was but have to try to pick up the pieces as hard as it is for the family. X

1 Like

Dear sad2

Husband died before got to hospital. I could not bear to go and see him as I knew the injuries would be bad but our poor son went in to ID his dad. I feel so guilty as he should not have had to do this because his mother was weak and selfish and wanted to remember her husband as he was. This and never getting to tell my husband how much I loved him one last time is so painful. If I had one more day I would tell him how much I loved him and whisper in his ear ‘take me with you now’. Instead I cry every day and tell him how much I loved him, how much he continues to mean to me and his kids/grandsons and pray he can hear me.

2 Likes

It’s been a year nearly, and yesterday l woke up missing him so much that my heart Is aching, a year ago I thought it would get better it doesn’t I’ve been waiting for more counselling but the waiting list is forever on the NHS system, I know it’s not helping but I think I’ve shut down my feelings with him and put it back in a box because I can’t control it the love missing him missing his torch missing his laughter missing the places we went to…and it bloody Christmas l hate the tv adverts, l hate the party, l hate having to go to my sons, so l wouldn’t be on my own, roll on January sorry guys

2 Likes

I shut down at times I can’t deal with it all the time. I’ve been great for few weeks going through motions of shopping my heart isn’t in it but have to sort out for the family. I have only wrote cards for close family sending monet to charity instead.
We have to go forward as can’t look back just at Happy Christmas memories. Thinking of you all this hard horrible time. It’s only 4 months for me since lost my husband and Best friend the pain at times is overwhelming xx

1 Like

Ang, I know just how you feel after 16weeks of losing my darling Derek. I am only going to food shops and not sending any cards just longing for January. Best wishes X Hilary

2 Likes

Ang, Hilary
I’m dreading Christmas, and even more the 31st January as that’s when my partner died.
They say that time heals all wounds, but all it’s done so far is to give me more time to think about how much I miss him,
Take care x

2 Likes