Knowing what to do

My dad is currently in a nursing home receiving end of life care, I know there is no crystal ball. Is it a matter of just being there and without sounding silly waiting. It’s there not knowing what is happening to him

Hello Arthur,

I’m very sorry to hear that your dad is receiving end of life care. This is such a difficult time for you and it’s understandable that the unknown can be very hard to deal with. His medical team should give you as much information as they can, so do ask questions if there are things you want to know, but you are right that even they can’t predict everything. If it is helpful, you may want to have a read of these information pages on our website. I appreciate not everyone will want to look at these, but if you do feel that you want the information:

As you say, it is important to spend time with him as much as you can, and talk to him, even if there are times when he doesn’t seem to be awake. And it’s important to have some support for yourself and an outlet for your feelings - whether that’s by talking to friends and family or by writing things down here on this site.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply it’s very much appreciated. I am receiving brilliant counselling at this is teaching me good coping skills. Every bit helps so thanks