Let's share what helped/is helping to cope

I’m sure there are plenty of similar discussions out already, but just felt like starting a new one… :slight_smile:

I just wanted to share how much Eckhart Tolle and his teachings have helped me. He’s a renowned spiritual teacher who’s focused on spreading the message of the power of now (that’s also the name of his first and most popular book). He teaches the power of presence and the debilitating effects of too much thinking. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. And it’s our thoughts that create suffering. Whereas if we allow pain to simply be, it dissolves. He also talks about suffering being a portal for awakening and becoming a better human. Our true essence is indestructible, our form, aka our bodies are subject to life and death, but our true essence is immortal.
Now, his work is not focused on grieving per se, although he does touch the subject briefly here and there. He teaches a new way of being, which essentially helps in all aspects of life, including when it comes to grief.
I came across his work about 3 years ago and it has changed me profoundly. It takes time to grasp his message (I probably still haven’t fully, still learn new things every time I reread his books or watch his videos), but is so worth it. I strongly believe I would have been in a far worse place right now without his wisdom.
Excuse the long post, but I hope some of you may benefit from it :heart:

His books are widely available. I’ve read The Power of Now and A New Earth. They’re both amazing.
There are plenty of his talks available to watch on YouTube

Thank you for reading my post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you sanjab,
I shall do an internet search tomorrow, Saturday.

Thank you that sounds amazing. Even just those few words gave me comfort

Just been watching After Life on Netflix.
Don’t know if I want to recommend it as it is a dark comedy, and might trigger some people, but the show has lots of profound messages.
One really resonated with me: happiness is such a good thing that it doesn’t matter if it’s yours… wow!!
So even if your own happiness seems out of reach, you can still bring happiness to other peoples lives.

Blessings

2 Likes

My family encouraged me to watch the first series with them. It deals with the emotions of grief very accurately, and yes, it was painful at times but I was glad I had watched it. I then watched the 2nd series, again it’s pretty accurate but still triggered deep emotions for me, even after 2years. When I say the crying that comes from your soul you will understand I’m sure. I was also uncomfortable about the unnecessary inclusion of a family marital issues, no relevance, not humorous and very disrespectful to women. So, if you watch it I would suggest you fast forward the ‘counselling’ sessions.

2 Likes

I agree San. I think the depiction of grief is very realistic. Ricky Gervais was never a favourite of mine but I think he is brilliant at conveying the utter loneliness and relentlessness of grief. I think the second series is spoiled by the gratuitously vulgar therapist. My son agreed! Still worth watching if not offended by appalling language. Nothing to do with being a prude. Just the extreme language is a definite no no for some.

4 Likes