Life is hard without Mum

Hi all, I lost my Mum nearly 2 years ago and at times I find this new normal really tough. I am 35 and really do miss my Mum’s support, no one understands like a Mum. I had a health scare myself recently and felt I had no one to turn to that would really understand. I’m lucky to have my Dad but it wasn’t really something I would talk to him about, plus I wouldn’t want him to worry. I’m ok now but had some really hard days where I needed support only a Mum could give. I have my husband but they can only support so much. Life is definitely never the same again without a Mum. Does anyone else feel the same?

Dear @MrsRL

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. Have you got girlfriends, older relatives or in-laws that you can talk?

Losing a parent is tough as you expect them to be around forever and the last 2 years with all the restrictions in place due to Covid has made life much more difficult. Have you considered talking to your GP as to being referred for Counselling and to see if there are any support groups in your local area?

There is a topic Losing a Parent which will connect you to members here which may be of help and comfort to you. Certainly would be worth looking at the topic.

The Samaritans are available 24/7 for free on 116 123 if you need someone to talk to straight away.

Please continue to reach out and take care.

Pepsi

Hi,

I am 34 and lost my mum in January, It is still all fairly new territory and I haven’t had any ‘significant’ things happen but there are lots of struggles and little things that I would talk to my mum about and now there isn’t anyone. I have my dad too but I don’t like to burden him in anyway. Life absolutely isn’t the same and I am worried that it is only going to get worse.

3 Likes

@Ashk sorry I have only just seen your comment. I am very sorry for the loss of your Mum too. Our Mums were taken far too soon. I feel exactly the same as you, I told my Mum everything, she was my best friend too. Life isn’t the same and never will be. I think with time we will learn to live with the loss, but will never get over it. I am here if you want to talk anytime.

@Peppers Thank you for your reply. I don’t really have anyone in real life I can talk to that understands or that I would feel comfortable talking about things to. I have considered counselling, but I am still unsure if it is something I want to do. I really appreciate the advice and I do find talking to other members on here helpful.

1 Like

I’m new to this site. Lost my mam in October and feel like life has been a blur ever since. Can’t quite believe it’s been almost 5 months already. I’m only 26, was 25 when it happened so already had my first birthday without her and been through Christmas and her birthday but with Mother’s Day coming up the pain seems to be worse than ever. I’m sorry to hear of your losses too, but do take comfort in that I’m not the only person in this situation and there are others out there who get it. My dad isn’t really around so it’s easy to feel very alone now that my mams gone, she really was my best friend too and I feel robbed that she’s been taken from me so soon. Life really can be so cruel! Sending my love to all those feeling the same as me!

1 Like

So sorry for the huge loss you are going through. I can understand how you are feeling. I lost my mom in Jan this year to a sudden cardiac arrest and have been struggling to cope ever since. I am 31 and she was only 58. My mom is my best friend and her life revolved around me. We used to talk everyday. Now I don’t know how I am going to live the rest of my life.
As you said, there is comfort in knowing that we are not alone and there are people who understand our pain.
Do you have any siblings or close friends you can talk to ?
Please take care and reach out if you would like to talk more.
Sending you some strength. Hugs