Living the rest of my life without mum

My mum died 5 months ago from a sudden reappearance of breast cancer. I’m 18 and all I can think about is why did this happen to me. Why do I not get to see my mum on my wedding day. Why does she not get to see my future children or meet my future partners? She went through the same thing I am now as she also lost her mum to cancer at a young age and I just wish I could ask her how she did it. Looking into a future without her hurts so much.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @mbailey

I’m really sorry to hear about your mum. It’s understandable to hear that looking to the future without her is causing you a lot of pain. I can’t imagine how hard this might be for you loosing her so suddenly.

I want you to know that you’re not alone. By posting here, you’ve taken a positive step and we’re all going to be here to support you through this.

Surrounding yourself with people can be a helpful way to cope for some people when they’ve lost someone close to them. Do you have much support at the moment?

I also wanted to link you to some other posts from members here who have also lost a parent which you might like to have a read through - https://community.sueryder.org/c/losing-a-parent/14

Keep us updated with how you’re doing, we’re here for you :yellow_heart:

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’re going through this at such a young age :pensive:

I lost my mum 9 months ago to cancer also, I’m a little older than you but I also keep thinking about all the things she won’t see. I’m engaged and she won’t see us get married or meet our future children. I’m sorry i don’t have any particular advice for you as I’m not sure how to deal with it myself but just don’t feel like you’re on your own xx

1 Like

Hi mbaily, I’m devastated for your loss especially at such a young age. After the heartbreak of losing my dad 3 days ago I feel your pain. My youngest sister just turned 21 and was so close a so reliant on my dad. She’s in bits of thoughts of him never walking her down the aisle or meeting his future grandkids. I explained to her some of my dad is in us all and will continue to live through us. He would not want us all crumbling apart. The best gift we can give our now passed loved ones is to crack on with life and support each other as best we can. Best of luck on your journey through this, if you ever need to vent, talk or just scream and cry, don’t hesitate to reach out to me, I will benefit as much as you. Again so sorry for your loss. Take care.

Liam.
1 Like