Local support groups?

My husband died unexpectedly 4 weeks ago. He was only 57. As you will all understand the pain is unbearable , the grief overwhelming and I can’t for one second imagine how I am going to live without him by my side.

I’ve joined the community here and reached out to Cruse for help and support - but I was hoping there may be local groups who meet face to face. I feel very alone and isolated.

Are there any such groups in the Northampton/ Wellingborough / Milton Keynes area? Tea / coffee with others who have experienced or are experiencing the absolute nightmare of losing their most loved one and who would also just like to be with others and talk?

4 Likes

Hello @TJH1, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. I hope you find the community to be a support to you in your grief.

Sue Ryder don’t currently offer face-to-face support groups. However, the AtALoss website lists local groups in your area. I’ve also found a few options on the Kettering council website:

• Direction bereavement support group - Lost a loved one? Feeling lost and alone? Meet with a small friendly Kettering based Group. It’s good to talk! We normally meet the first Monday of each month at 7.30pm. Please get in touch with Maureen for more information; 07411426033, maureenw10@hotmail.co.uk

• Desborough St Giles Bereavement support group - Kim lends a friendly ear to those in Desborough who are struggling with the loss of a loved one. You can contact her to find out more about the group; kimrowbotham@hotmail.com, 01536 761593

There is also a face-to-face group in Wellingborough - you can find their details here.

I hope that this is helpful, take good care.
Seaneen

1 Like

Thank you so much - how be very kind of you to respond so quickly and with some information. I really do appreciate it.

It’s unbearable- the pain and grief is overwhelming - looking for a life line so your reply means such a lot.

T

2 Likes

@TJH1

I joined ‘Way Up’ after someone on here posted about it. There may be arrangements on there for local meet ups as they have a calendar of events. I’m not really active on there as I feel more at home here but it could be worth you joining.
I hope you’ll find support in the virtual world at least in here. There are some amazing people who will answer any posts.
Hugs xxx

1 Like

Hi @TJH1, I am sorry for your loss, it’s still very early on for you.
Averill Phillips Funeral Directors in kettering run a monthly group counseling session. It on the last Thursday of the month. Anyone can go, you don’t need to have used them.
I did go for a few months and it’s run by a counselor and I found it very helpful in the early days
I’ve attached to attach the link but it wouldn’t work, hers a bit about their support is available:

"If you are struggling with a loss whether it is recent or several years ago you are welcome to attend our Bereavement Support Group. Sally our bereavement counsellor aims to provide a safe and secure environment in which we can share experiences, where we can be heard and respected in a safe and confidential environment, a place where you can process your emotions.

Our Kettering Bereavement Group is held on the last Thursday of every month and our Oundle Bereavement Group is held on a Thursday each month (the time within the month varies). To book to attend please call either of our offices, Kettering 01536 511197 or Oundle 01832 272251."

Debbie x

1 Like

I did manage to send the link for the website
Debbie

Debbie thank you so much - that’s so helpful. I’m definitely going to call. T

1 Like

Karen thank you - I’m taking a look at now xx

I live in north oxon and at the moment can’t get anywhere else
Wish was a zoom group
Anyone know of one then it would not matter and could see others for virtual meets one step nearer

2 Likes

@Enorac
I spoke to my older daughter, @ObeSnug, about zoom a few days ago and she is going to teach me how to set up meetings so watch this space.

1 Like

I’d be really happy to join a zoom call ( if we are allowed to on this forum) but if anyone is in my neck of the woods (Northampton/Milton Keynes/Wellingborough/ Kettering I’d love to meet for a coffee.

It’s my husbands birthday today and just five weeks since I lost him - the pain and grief is overwhelming.

2 Likes

I remember when it was my husband’s birthday on February 7th and we had a meal together like we used to do just a takeaway which helped having my two sons with me. Are you alone? You say it is so painful. Hugs and is the worst time when it is their birthday.

1 Like

We have a 24yr old daughter - she lives and studies in London. She is with me at the moment but I am absolutely dreading the day when she inevitably has to go back to her home. I think she’ll be with me for the next couple of weeks until after the funeral. It’s so unbearably painful.

2 Likes

fb://photo/8944584508916503?set=a.555434544498250&sfnsn=scwspmo
@TJH1
I’ve just seen this on Facebook, Sue Ryder are setting up a grief kind space at Milton Ernest Garden centre in Bedfordshire from 9th March every Thursday morning from 10am to 12pm
For more information, visit Grief Kind Spaces | Sue Ryder
Debbie x

1 Like

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sueryder.org%2Fhow-we-can-help%2Fbereavement-information%2Fgrief-kind%2Fgrief-kind-spaces&h=AT0IqDDLtnpjwENTj5t-5wqL8eMtSPkseyILQFfKPmAFYl-t0-7PqLecGWzil_D3fxDQQR3C3OjzViskjveIB4ZVA4eRZdLFqxphyZgY3vdU-092GWiT1u9IyhTy8eUaeKKA&s=1

I’ve got the link to work now

Thank you so much - that’s so kind.

1 Like