Loneliness After Mum departing

Hallo All,

I’m sure that what I have to say is nothing new, but I feel I want to share here as the pain of losing my Mum is unbearable at the moment. I lost her 2 months ago and she was in her 90s, so I really can’t complain. Watching her die over the last few days was awful. My brothers seem to have “gone back to normal”. Anybody have any idea how you go about doing that? I had put my life largely on hold over the last couple of years to be with her in Germany and I did it gladly. But now there is a huge hole where my life should be. I’m embarking on an exercise plan to try to lift my spirits a bit, but otherwise I’m at a loss as how to get on as the world keeps turning.

Hello @Labrador,

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I just wanted to let you know that you have been heard and you are not alone.

Take good care,
Seaneen

Im sorry for your loss - i lost my mum nearly 6 months ago after caring for her full time in the last year. My brothers went back to their jobs quite quickly and on the outside appear to be “back to normal” but i think a) you cant see whats going on internally and b) everyones grief is different, so you cant compare it to someone elses. Especially if you put a lot of your life on hold the same as i did, the impact may be much greater for you compared to your brothers . 2 months is still really early days, so just give yourself as much time to grieve as you need. I think i cried on a daily basis for the first 4 months! Everyone is different and there is no right/wrong way to grieve.

If you’re exercising thats a really positive step - as well as looking after the body it also helps to keep the emotions flowing freely. I seriously need to do that after all the chocolate i have consumed!

Just take everything one day at a time. Your mind and body have just been through a huge trauma, and it takes time to process that and to face that huge hole thats been left. Ive read that the hole our loved ones leave doesnt get any smaller, but life starts to grow around it so its not so all consuming. But thats not a quick process.

Take care - sending you hugs :people_hugging::heart:

1 Like

Thank you. That’s all really helpful and gives me some hope for the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes