Loneliness

I am finding the loneliness unbearable after losing my wonderful husband. My two sons are always busy with their friends and family and I am finding weekends the worst. How do I overcome this?

4 Likes

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your husband.

One of the most difficult parts of a bereavement can be the feelings of loneliness that comes with it, nothing can prepare you for it.

Sue Ryder has a Grief Guide that contains useful information to help you understand and cope with your bereavement and grief, explore your emotions and feelings and hear from others experiencing grief. When you are ready, it would be worth taking a look at.

Cruse Bereavement have advice on how to cope with the Loneliness . It would be worth having a read to see how it can help you.

If you type in the search bar Loneliness you can connect with members here who have experienced and been in the same position as yourself.

I do hope the above will be of help to you. Please continue to reach out and take care of yourself. You are alone, we are all here for you.

Pepsi

Hello . I am so sorry for your loss , 63 years is a long time . I lost my mum 17 months ago , we lived together , and the loneliness is hard to bear . I try to keep my mind occupied - watch tv , read - but i still feel lonely . Age Concern can help , they have a befriending service and someone can phone you on a regular basis so you can have a nice chat . Also keep posting on here as it helps to talk to people in the same situation . Here if you want to talk. Take care.
Love Angie xx

2 Likes

Hi unforgettable . So sorry for your loss . My husband died 14 months ago . We had been together since both16 year old . He was 59 when he died . The loneliness is horrendous , I don’t live alone but not having my husband here with me is heartbreaking . The bond that partners have is so unique only we understand how empty life is now . Posting on here ha s helped me a lot. There is always a kind word and knowing that other people do get how we feel does help xtake carex

2 Likes

My husband of 54 years died 3 months agon and I’m so lost without him even though I have two nice sons and their families but the grief is crippling me. Wherever i go the memories just overwhelm b\me and I see him everywhere I go to the extent that i cry even along the roads we walked together justn enjoying each other’s company. The last 2 years were difficult as he had dementia but I still loved him even though i became frustrated and irritable with him very often… to my eternal shame. How do we get through nthis terrible grief.

1 Like

Hi , so sorry for your loss . You have had such a lot to go through , I know how hard it is just getting through each day now without our partners . I feel my happy life is over and I’m so scared as to how long I have to go on living ( exsisting ) without my husband . He was my best friend as well . We didn’t bother with other people , we just wanted to spend as much time with each other . I have kids and grandkids what are great . But I feel they have to have a happy life like we did . I put on an act with them . They don’t need my grief as well as their own . And I never want to be a burden on them . So I feel like I’m stuck in this nightmare . All we can do is take things hour by hour , and then they turn into days . I don’t think we can actually get through this , I think we have to learn to live with it beside us . Like our husbands are still beside us . And cry when we need too. And be angry when we feel the need . I know I have gone through all the emotions and even ones that I have no name for . Posting on here has helped me a lot . Knowing kind people do understand . Thinking of you xtake care x

2 Likes

Thank you. You understand the desolation. Like you except for our families we also did not bother very much with other people on a regular basis; we were just contented to be together enjoying simple things in life and just being together. I didn’t want him to continue living in the state he was becoming…so difficult to witness and so sad for him as he was a handsome and dignified man with a natural charm but dementia robs people of all their dignity and destroys contentment and joy but now he is gone I just want him back inspite of his dementia. All so hard to bear. He would hate to see me in this bereft state but I can’t help it.

2 Likes

I know my husband would be so upset at the way I am . I still ask him every night to come and get me . Then on a morning I ask why he didn’t . My husband was fit and healthy and gorgeous and handsome . He worked hard . Started with a sore throat . Within six months of being diagnosed with cancer he died . He had horrendous treatment chemo . Radiation …and the cancer still spread . He had an appointment for more chemo treatment on the Friday he died . So to me it was still a shock . It’s only looking back at photos he had took on his phone a few days before he died . That I noticed how poorly he looked . I will always want him back with me and to continue the happy life we had . But I know that’s impossible . The only thing that I am grateful.for is that it’s me struggling with this grief and not him . He put up with a lot and never complained. He fought as hard as he could to stay with me but wasn’t to be . Xtake carex

4 Likes

I feel the same about my husband, he never complained whilst he was so ill and always had a smile on his face. I miss him so much and still cry every day. It is so lonely without him , no one to help solve problems and. Life seems pointless and empty. But we have no choice. X

3 Likes

Hi, your so right we don’t have a choice. We just have to try our best every lonely day. I believe that one day I will be reunited with him . I have to believe that .it helps me get through all this crap existence ( life) . Init only lost my husband I lost the best part of me . I don’t know who I am now what I’m suppose to be or do . I find if a problem crops up. It doesn’t seem to bother me . What’s the worst that could happen . The worst thing has already happened my husband dying. I just seem to muddle through each day. I’m sure he is sending me love and strength to just keep on keeping on . Xtake carex

4 Likes

I send my love to you.
It’s so destroying to loose a partner.
I lost my husband in August, after a very short battle with cancer, he also never complained, he just wanted to protect me and his children.
Life seems pointless, with no one by my side.
I have lovely children, family and friends, but i can’t see beyond this awful grief.

1 Like