Looking to move on, looking for friends.

Good evening everyone,
I’m Trevor from west Cumbria. My wife passed away almost 2 years ago and our only son passed away 8 years prior to my wife. We were happily married for 38 years but had known each other for 40 years.
Because of my health then covid lockdowns I was unable to repatriate my son but last summer I plucked up the courage to drive from Cumbria to southern Italy (Puglia) to repatriate both my wife and son’s ashes for final resting. It was not an easy task to do because I had another funeral to do for them in Italy. Not that I minded, it was the least I could do for them who had given me so much. My son was 28 when he passed.
I have tried to find friendship again but I really am not good at it. I am wondering if it is just too soon for me to try to start a new life.
I miss the conversations, the meals together, watching the tv or listening to music. I’m 62, am I being stupid or wishful thinking? Can there be a life after so long in a great relationship?
Both my wife and son are always in my mind and heart, as a Catholic I pray for their souls daily because I love them both. I even found the time to pray daily when I was five months in Turkey as a volunteer assisting the earthquake victims. It was good to go but it did play on my mind and worsen my depression. I’m ok now though and I’m glad I went and did my little part to help other less fortunate to myself.
If anyone could give me some tips, I’d be most grateful.
Thank you for reading my posting, stay safe and well. God bless you all.

2 Likes

Hi @trevorfoggia . It’s never too soon, not is ever too late to move on to your new life. How do you want it to be? Some of us on here look at it as if we have the opportunity to write the next chapter of your life, then gradually move forward to rebuilding it. I’ve been alone for two years as well, and I’m pretty happy again, but it’s not at the expense of my feelings towards the 50 years I had with my wife, she’s still always in my thoughts.
So you can move on as soon as you decide where to move on to. Maybe look into a crystal ball and describe how you would like your new life to be in 5 years time, write it down and stick it on your fridge door to remind you.
You come over as a very kind soul, it’s time to be kind to yourself.
Good luck.

1 Like

I hope there can. I was married for 41 years known him all my life. I miss going out having meals with someone , having someone to share emotions with so I hope to find someone to do that with. Not sure I would ever marry again but a partner a companion would be nice. 62 is not too old to want to live life.

1 Like