Loosing mum so young

It’s been 16 years since I lost my mum (who was 27) when I was 6, I’m now 23. When I tell people that, I think they think it’s been such a long time that I must be okay with it now - I’m sure we all know the quote “time is a healer” couldn’t agree any less to be honest. But in all honesty It hurts, physically hurts every single day. I found video tapes of mum this year, the first time I’d heard her voice in 15 years and I went through the whole grieving process again, I couldn’t even go to work without crying for no reason at all. I guess I just feel like the only person in the world going through this right now.

4 Likes

Hi @Baileyjoe01

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum It sounds as though things are very painful at the moment. As you said, the passing of time can make feelings fade, but you never stop grieving and things can catch you out when you least expect it, like the video tapes of your mum that you found.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share these links with you to help you with your grief.

You might already be familiar with our other Online Bereavement Support services, but if not, you can find out more about our Online Counselling service, our Grief Coach text support service, and our Grief Guide self-help tools by visiting the link.

In particular, you may find our article ‘Losing a parent’ helpful. It has some advice for those days when it may feel particularly painful. Please remember to be kind to yourself and it’s okay to be upset.

Take good care and keep reaching out :blue_heart:

Kate
Sue Ryder Online Community team

Hi, I really felt to reach out. Sending a huge warm hug.

I lost my mum when i as 3. Its true people think and say skme crazy things that hurt a lot.

Our Mum is the most important person as young children… the impact of our loss lasts forever.

I lost my Dad 2 years ago in a weeks time. Its such a struggle, and more so when people can’t understand the pain. Its isolating isnt it?

1 Like