Loosing my husband

My husband died very suddenly in January aged 50, and I’m finding it hard to move on; we have 2 children aged 13 & 16 who are coping very well but I’m not, I’m incredibly lonely as my husband was something of a recluse and unless I was doing something with the children I was home with him so although I have many friends very few knew my husband and I can’t talk about him to them…

Hello Pauline Marie
I’m sorry to read how you are feeling. I lost my Husband 6 months ago, anticipated but yet very suddenly, we had no children and I’m 51. I really do empathise with you when you say that despite having lots of friends you have no one that knew your Husband well enough to speak about with. I’m staying with relatives and my Husband is no longer mentioned and it’s hard and lonely so I do identify. Is there a particular friend you feel especially comfortable with so you could perhaps start up a conversation. I also understand when you say you don’t feel able to move on. There is no rush to do so but if it bothers you maybe you might think counselling is a good idea or maybe the grief is turning into depression. I know 6 months has passed since losing my Husband but I feel I am still back in the time frame of when it first happened. I’m sorry I can’t be more positive but send you love and understanding.

Thank you Tina…and my sympathies…I still have a routine to keep going for my children school during the week and figure skating for my daughter over the weekend which helps…and I’ve put in extra stuff for us all mostly just to make sure 13 & 16 yr old siblings have fun time exclusively together to bond rather than drift apart as is the norm at this age. I don’t feel I need counselling or have depression…just my very first real loss at aged 52 and I don’t feel like I need to work through it more like let it work through me if that makes sense. Do you mention your husband to your family it works both ways.although not always positively…best wishes

Thank you Tina…and my sympathies…I still have a routine to keep going for my children school during the week and figure skating for my daughter over the weekend which helps…and I’ve put in extra stuff for us all mostly just to make sure 13 & 16 yr old siblings have fun time exclusively together to bond rather than drift apart as is the norm at this age. I don’t feel I need counselling or have depression…just my very first real loss at aged 52 and I don’t feel like I need to work through it more like let it work through me if that makes sense. Do you mention your husband to your family it works both ways.although not always positively…best wishes

Hello Pauline Marie - This too is my 1st experience with close family grief as an adult. I tend not to mention my Husband anymore as I don’t like to be a burden, it just means I find myself becoming more insular which isn’t a good situation. Sounds like your teenagers certainly keep you busy! Regards.