Loosing my sister

I lost my sister this year at the age off 55 from a heart attack and I am struggling to be without her

Hello @Sue1969 ,

I can see that you’re new to the community, so I wanted to say that I am so sorry for the loss of your sister that brings you here. This is incredibly difficult for you right now and you say you are really struggling to manage without her, the shock of this loss will be so great for you.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that may help right now.

You may also find this Sue Ryder article of use, take a read when you feel ready. * Losing a sibling

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

I too lost my sister (my only sibling) almost 3 years ago. We were very close all our lives, same schools, same uni, same circle of friends throughout our lives. We were best friends we didn’t have a ’ best friend’ we had each other. We were living together, both were living alone so decided to trial living together then made it permanent. Then I lost my sister suddenly, she was only 56. I’m having to adapt to a new life alone. I miss her every day. Losing a sister is losing a part of yourself the person that has been with you all your life someone who
has always been there for you, knows you the most. We had so many plans, especially for our retirement. I don’t think I will get over losing her I just hope I learn to live my life without her without it hurting so much.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss I just can’t seem to get on with my life without out her some days can’t even get out of bed and cry all day long . There wasn’t a day we didn’t see each other I feel as my heart has been ripped out and just don’t know what to do

2 Likes

So sad Sue. Sorry you are going through this. I never realised how much losing someone could hurt, physically hurt, it does feel like your heart is ripped out. I never thought the pain would ease maybe it does lessen but I think we learn to live with it and that it will never go away. I have no answers on how to overcome the pain Sue it is something we have to find our way through somehow. All I can say is be kind to yourself, look after yourself and do things you want to do.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words x

I really hope you have the support you need souse we have to take each day as it comes but nice to speak to somebody who is going through the same thing much love

Im sorry to hear about your sister. Sounds as though you were great friends. I’m not surprised you miss her so. I can really identify with that sense of it being like losing a part of your self. It’s over two years now since I lost my sister and I still think about her every day and miss her so. But I just try to get on with my life knowing that is what she wanted. I tell myself that she is with me still in my heart so I take her with me too. I talk to her in my head too . I’m really missing her at the moment hence this post.
I hope you can find your own way of coping with out her

1 Like

so sorry for your loss its just so hard for the people left behind also all the first off everything its her birthday tomorrow and finding it hard to surpport her 3 girls as i cant seem to step up and help myself thank you for your message nice to talk to people going through the same take care

Good evening, Hope you are managing to cope through this hard time. Christmas is a tough time to get through. I especially find it difficult I am now in the period between my dad’s death and my sister’s (my dad died just a month before my sister), my sister died on the 20th December. I suggested we didn’t put a Christmas tree up that year but Kay said it may be the last Christmas she saw, she didn’t even make it to that one. I now put my tree up in memory of her.
I have only got one son, my mum who has Alzheimer’s disease and one cousin that’s my entire family, so Christmas will consist of me and my son and mum. It takes some adjusting to feeling alone in the world, to find your way in this new life. I have often thought I would love to go to sleep and not wake up, but my son keeps me going.