Loosing my wonderful dad

Hi everyone,
Very suddenly two weeks ago my amazing dad passed away from a massive heart attack at 68, he had never had a days heart trouble in his life, the shock of loosing him has left my mum my siblings and myself completely devastated, he was an amazing dad, husband to my mum for 47 years and the best grandad to his 9 grand children.
I feel totally numb and cannot get my head around loosing him, we have dads funeral next week which I’m dreading that final goodbye, I feel like the tears will never stop and I’ll never move forward.

Hello Robin21,

We are so sorry to hear of the very sudden passing of your Dad. The shock and sadness must be overwhelming for you.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to share how you are feeling here, and I hope that you find the community a good source of support. Everyone here has experienced the loss of a loved one and will understand some of what you are going through.

It’s early to know if you need any extra help, but just so you know we are here for you, Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: www.sueryder.org/counselling.

Please continue to post, I am confident our other members will respond to you very shortly.

Take care,
Audrey,
Online Community Team.

Hi Robin,

I’m so incredibly sorry about your Dad. I know that numb feeling well and no words of comfort are enough. I have no words of advice as my own Dad died in September, but I came across your post and just wanted you to know that you are not alone. The only thing that helped me in the beginning was constantly calling friends and having them check in on me, but again I know that there are no words for a loss of this kind.

Annie

Hi Annie,

Thank you for responding, it’s good to know my feelings are all normal going through what feels like the worst time in my life, I’m so sorry for your loss too.

I have a wonderful best friend who is a tower of strength to me outside of my family and is always ringing and texting me to check on me, and other lovely friends too, but I think until anyone has the unfortunate life changing feeling of a loss of a parent they don’t truly know what it is like, and I really would not wish these feelings on anyone.

Some days I wake up and for a split second I think everything is OK until reality hits me like a thunder bolt, I try to be strong and think I’m doing ok then I find myself sobbing again.

I feel better when I’m physically with my mum which I have been every day for the last two weeks, I hate leaving her in the evening although 3 of my siblings still live at home I feel being the oldest I have the responsibility to make sure she is OK.

I feel in limbo waiting for dad’s funeral, people have said that will possibly give me closure to move forward, but I’m not convinced about this.

I only joined on here yesterday and have found it a really good way of being able to communicate and read other people’s feelings of grief and how they deal with it, everyone’s comments are very kind and supportive and I think that will help me a lot during my hours of need :blush:

1 Like

Thank you very much Audrey,

This community forum seems such a lovely way of communicating with people in similar situations, in the short time I’ve been signed up on here I’ve already gained comfort from it, everyone is dealing with their own grief but also supporting others through their grief too, I’m so glad I looked for on line bereavement support, I hope I’ll be able to offer help to other lovely people on here or joining the forum.

Thank you again

Zoe

Hi Robin, I lost my dad 3 weeks ago suddenly at 68, it’s been such a shock as he was ok the day before when we facetime.

Thank you. I’m so glad you have a good friend checking up on you. I agree though, I don’t think a lot of people “get it” as such unless they have lost a parent too. I only have one friend who truly understands but I’m grateful for her.
I think if you feel like you should stay with your mum and siblings for now, definitely do that. There is no rush to leave them.
I also only joined the other day and have found this forum really helpful too. It helps me to know that I’m not alone, although I don’t really like the idea of others going through similar.

Annie