Losing a child.

My daughter died suddenly and unexpectedly on 24 April this year. There has to be an autopsy and lab tests but no definitive cause was found. We couldn’t register her death for three months. We are now living in a weird parallel universe without her

2 Likes

Hello @Derrick,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread, and sharing your situation with us. I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few resources with you that might be helpful.

Another good place to get support is The Compassionate Friends. They can support bereaved parents and families, and you can access support on their website https://www.tcf.org.uk/

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few resources with you that may help you right now.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

Hi Derrick

I can totally relate to the weird parallel universe. I wander about in a bit of a daze at times. I feel like I am now in a club that I didn’t sign up for.

I had to wait 5 weeks for the funeral because of a post mortem and a backlog with issuing death certificates. I found this really hard so I can only imagine how hard it has been for u.

People kept saying to me “we just need to get the funeral by” and I was thinking it must get better after the funeral. The funeral was on Monday and I’m still waiting for something to change for the better.

F x

Hi Derrick I lost my son suddenly to cardiac arrest nearly 18 months ago , and I too so get the parallel universe feeling . Never experienced anything like it and I could never explain it to anyone else. It helps to know others feel it too. It is so bizarre living in a world that makes no sense anymore, that is some sort of other reality even after all this time. I hope in time I can adjust some how but don’t know if I ever will . So sorry you have had to join this club but hope you find help and support here as I have .
Jess

I lost my 31yr old son unexpectedly and suddenly on 6 nov 23. He collapsed in the hospital car park after feeling unwell suddenly when his heart stopped and could not be restarted. Post mortem showed nothing, awaiting further investigation which we have been told could take months. We have an interim death certificate which allowed us to have the funeral which was on 7 dec 23. Now having to deal with my son’s house and car finance. Christmas was one of the firsts. I just need answers to help me try to understand and process. Not knowing is the worst.