Losing a partner

It’s taken me a while to post this. I lost my beloved husband nine months ago after a long illness which he bore so bravely. We had been together 30 years. I miss him so much. I identify with all the comments made by others and salute your bravery in saying how you feel and telling how things are. Well done everyone.

One of the hardest things has been making decisions on my own and feeling that they were the right ones. I know I do agonise about things but I have started asking myself - what would he do and that helps. Another tricky thing is making myself go out and do things solo - restaurants, coffee shops, theatre, a weekend away etc if I can’t find people to go with me. I am not completely comfortable going on my own but I’ve done it and it was OK!

I find being part of my local u3a has helped and I have signed up for new and different groups which I am enjoying. I also suggest meet ups with local chums whom I have got to know better and that has been nice.

I have not cracked the social stuff - going to parties without him. It would mean acting that all is well and that is just too painful. So still early days on many things. I have no idea what my future looks like but I am determined not to give up, to reach out and try different things.

1 Like

Hello @Redhead,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex