Losing an elderly relative

My Grandad is 99 and nearing the end of his life. I am 38. I am finding the thought of losing him extremely distressing, even though he has lived a good and long life and logically I know he can’t carry on forever. I have spoken to my family and they are all a lot more accepting of the situation - I keep finding myself in floods of tears and have had to work from home the last few days as being in the office is too overwhelming. I have always been particularly close to him, but he is now at the stage where he only wants to see my Mum. I will never see him again, which fills me with sadness. How do I process my feelings and carry on with everyday life?

I’m really sorry to hear that your Grandad is nearing the end of his life. It’s natural to grieve at the prospect of losing someone close, regardless of how old he is - he has clearly been a big part of your life, and that is bound to leave a huge hole.

I’m sorry to hear that he only wants to see your mum now - is this another part of what is upsetting you? Perhaps you feel that you would have liked to spend more time with him, or have more of a chance to say goodbye?

Now is a time to be kind to yourself, and allow yourself to grieve in the way that feels right for you, so taking some time out from the office may have been a good idea. It is also important to find outlets for your emotions, whether that’s by talking to your friends and family, or writing things down here on the site.

1 Like