Losing my best friend

I lost my best friend of 40 years on April 1st this year. We had been best friends since our first year at primary school and were in the same form from year 1 to year 13. She had breast cancer that spread to her lungs. Because of covid I couldn’t visit her during any of her treatment but did get to spend 40 minutes with her on our own the day before she died.
I’m haunted by her words to me on that day. She told she was so scared and so sad and there was nothing I could do. I know she had to tell me as it would be too much for her husband and parents to hear. My heart feels broken and I feel lost without her in my life like I’ve lost an anchor, she had always been there and our future years have been taken from me. We should have been going away this summer to celebrate 40 years of friendship.
I don’t know how to begin to heal. My husband is being great and I’ve seen her husband and children. I did the eulogy at the funeral which was so hard.

2 Likes

So sorry on the loss of your friend. It’s lovely that she was able to talk to you as she did but it must have been very upsetting for both of you.
I have a friend who I have known nearly 50 years and she has been a great support to me over the last year.
Friends are so important in our lives and I am so sorry you have lost yours to such an awful disease. My husband died of cancer in sept last year so I know how awful it is.
Take care xx

1 Like

Thank you. So sorry for the loss of your husband. I feel honoured she was so open with me and miss her so much.
Take care too.

1 Like

@BeckyS1 I’m so sorry to hear the sad news of your best friend. 40 years is a long time to have such a special friendship and I am sure there a lots of happy memories that you will hold dear. Thinking of you and sending a hug. x

1 Like