Losing my brother then my dog within 10 days of each other

Could someone please help me I have never felt pain like this I lost my big brother aged 58 on the 21st Jan then 10 days I had to put my dog to sleep after having him over 11 years my brother was my best friend like my father and he loved my children and my dog I keep looking at their pictures expecting them both to turn up I believe they decided to go together to minimise my pain daft I know my mum is still poorly she was in hospital over Christmas where my brother used to come and see her and thank god she didnā€™t go but then my brother decides to go I know he didnā€™t want to leave he had booked a little trip for this year I have a older sister which we really donā€™t get on and another brother but no one was like my brother who has passed im heartbroken mad worried hurt that he has left me if someone has any advice I canā€™t just snap out of it and be back to normal it was only the end of January Thank you

2 Likes

Hello @Lef,

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your big brother and your dog - it sounds like things are very hard for you right now, especially with your mum being unwell.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Iā€™m just giving your thread a gentle, ā€œbumpā€ for you - hopefully someone will have some thoughts to share.

I also wanted to share with you this Sue Ryder article which you may find helpful: Sibling loss: Coping with death of your sister or brother | Sue Ryder

Take good care,
Lizzie

Hello @Lef
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. It is still very recent and you shouldnā€™t feel the need to snap out of it. I lost my youngest brother 2 years ago and it took me a while before I could talk about him without getting upset - our siblings were a big part of our lives and our love for them will continue :heart:. My dad passed away from cancer a week after my brother and I also think he died shortly after my brother because he needed to be with him and to minimise our pain.
You just have to try and take each day as it comes and do whatever you need to, to get through it. It wonā€™t seem this way now but it will get easier with time. Sending hugs XX

Thank you so much

1 Like

Thank you so much your reply means a lot

Hello Lef,
Such a lot of loss you have hadā€¦and so recent! January feels like yesterday. I lost our dog and my sister very close together in time. I loved them both so much and I still do. I have days where I donā€™t feel under the cloud of grief and days when I do. I donā€™t know if it gets easier really; it just gets different. I still have days when I feel my puppyā€™s spirit so close and sometimes I think Iā€™ll find him on his favorite couch or imagine I hear his little toes clicking on the wood floor. I think these are normal events. I talk to my pup and others Iā€™ve lost. Some days I wear a special necklace with his picture. Those things help me. Writing here helps me too although Iā€™m quite new. And reading real peopleā€™s accounts of their experiences. Overall it does get ā€˜betterā€™ I guess, but the pain of many losses never completely dies, at least for me. I take some comfort in having the sense of them with me at times.
I hope these words help you. Take care of yourselfā€¦loss of others is one of the greatest challenges in this life.
Thank you for writing.

Thank you so much Mary12 for your kind and thoughtful words it means so much. I still imagine I can hear my dogs little paws and Iā€™m convinced my brother and my dog will turn up silly I know itā€™s still very raw but thank you once again.