Losing my brother

My big brother was my best friend, no one else understands me the way he did. He passed away at the end of April, age 26 he was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in March, he broke his femur in January. He deteriorated before our eyes, all we could do was comfort him. I did everything and anything I could do for him, long journey, sleepless nights, skipping meals. I have no regrets, but my life feels pointless now. Everyone expects me to be social and get back to life, constantly asking me how I am, when in all honesty getting out of bed seems impossible most days. It feels like a part of me died with him, life just doesn’t make sense anymore…

Hello @Jade_fox ,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling lost without your brother. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Alex

1 Like

Hi,

So sorry for your loss and i completely understand what youre going through unfortunately, as I lost mu brother, soul mate and best friend 3 weeks ago today.

I feel like I am starting to annoy people because he is constantly on my mind and i cannot think or talk about anything else.

I am devastated beyond words and like you even getting out of bed seems hard. Each new day i hate as its one more day since we spoke and Mondays will always be hard as this was the day he passed.

If you need someone to talk to who understands and wont make you feel bad (because i know i do) please reach out. :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words!

I’m so very sorry for your loss, I can completely sympathise with what you’re going through.

It would be great to talk to someone who understands what I’m going through and how I’m feeling

Same. Feel like people just want me to get over it now but ive cried every day for over 5 weeks now and it’s not getting any easier :sleepy:

It’s been 5 months for me, and it does get easier. Although, some days it feels like no time has passed at all. One thing that has helped me the last few months is making a note of my emotions, whether it’s anger, jealousy, guilt etc. Because it helps me remember what a special person he was to make me feel all these emotions. But most importantly be kind to yourself, this grief process is yours, no one else’s

Thank you. I cant imagine the future right now, its so hard. Hes left 3 children as well and he was a single dad, theyre 16, 21 and 22 but are absolutely devastated so im trying to be there for them too :pensive:

Ohh I’m so sorry, you must feel so overwhelmed with everything. I’m sure he’s children are so grateful to have you in their lives. If you ever want to vent, rant or just chat I’m here

1 Like

Yes i am feeling overwhelmed but appreciated you chatting to me. I am here also for you :heart:

2 Likes

Hello @Jade_fox, I am so sorry for your sad loss. I lost my only sibling, my brother aged 57 on Feb 14th this year, he had large sarcoma on his femur, which spread before he was meant to have surgery on Dec 21st last. Unfortunately it spread to his lung. Please DM me if you would like to chat Jade,our stories are similar. I am heartbroken, i may never get over this, as Frank lived in our childhood home with me. Sending you best wishes.

1 Like