losing my brother

hi all im chris i lost my eldest brother just before new years eve 2022 to a heart attack.Im finding it hard to cope the best of times as 12 years ago i lost my dad to a stroke and i had cancer 9 years ago.all the while not only have i been looking after myself trying to get better but also looking after my mum.It really hard not to show my emotion in front of my mum as i know she is hurting too.At times i wish i had someone to be there for me and help me get better and grieve myself

2 Likes

Hello @kr1s2468 ,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your brother and dad. Managing your own grief and concerns for your own health while being there to support your mum must be so hard for you right now. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

You might also find this Sue Ryder article helpful: Sibling loss: coping with death of your sister or brother | Sue Ryder

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Alex

Hi kr, I feel for you and understand what you’re going through. My mum had a major stroke 6 years ago snd is being cared for in a nursing home. 8 months ago dad was diagnosed with cancer. We (brother and I) cared for my dad and also my brother spent 5 hours everyday visiting mum whom he was very close to. 3 months ago we lost my brother unexpectedly, heart attack. We are all devastated. I’m finding it hard to cope. But reading the messages on here makes me feel understood and not alone. :pray:t2::palms_up_together:t2: God gives us strength to get through each day

Sounds really tough for you. Reach out to this community when you need to. It is very welcoming and supportive. Thinking if you

1 Like

Thank you so much :pray:t2:

I’m so sorry for your loss and really sympathise with you. I feel your pain. My mum had a major stroke 6 years ago and is being cared for in a nursing home. My brother was very close to mum and visited her every single day spending 4-5 hours each visit. 8 months ago dad was diagnosed with cancer. Just as we were getting to terms with dad’s diagnosis my brother passed away unexpectedly, heart attack July 2023. We are devastated and traumatised. I too want to have someone taking care of me. I get overwhelmed and overthink about what will happen next.