Losing my dad after long illness

My dad passed 4 wks ago and it’s still so raw … he was ill and in and out of hospital for the last 6 years. He passed peacefully and I’ve took comfort in that but gosh it hurts . My chest physically hurts with pain . I wish I knew the funeral was the start of the dealing with it all . I keep thinking he’s at the hospital still and it was a joke , a dream.

My friends and close family have been lovely but I’m left with a huge loneliness feeling. My mum is not part of my life and I feel like I’ve lost them both .

I’m trying to ride with the waves of emotion but I’m finding I just don’t want to know about other people’s problems , hear their life . Think I’ve hit the angry stage . I’m resenting that friends have one parent and siblings to work through the grief together … I then feel guilty for then feeling like that but I’m dealing with the grief and his estate/ probate on my own

The hardest part has been people’s lack of empathy and asking quite personal questions , making comments . It’s like I’ve to make them feel better … does that make sense?

Hello @Nic50,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,

Alex

1 Like