Losing my dad as a child

Hi I lost my dad to cancer when I was 9, I can barely remember how I felt afterward apart from Remembering the day it happened the following year is a blur. As a 31 year old grown up I now feel and have felt for a long time like something is missing almost like I’m waiting or searching for something, I have a loving family and children which I love but almost feel like life is passing me by while I am in limbo waiting I don’t no if this is normal I don’t think I am as happy as I should be…confused

Hi Justme4,

Welcome to the Sue Ryder Online Community. I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your dad to cancer when you were so young.

What you are experiencing is completely normal. Experiencing such a significant loss at a young age can often have a longer term impact and that’s something that others in this community have talked about in other threads.

Have you talked about how you’re feeling with anyone? A close friend or family member perhaps? It can often help to explore these feelings with either a loved one or even with a bereavement counsellor - we offer a free counselling service or you could have a chat with your GP.

You’re not alone here, so keep talking to us if you feel it helps.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to support you or if you have any questions about the site.

Take care,
Eleanor