Losing my dad

Hi there. I lost my dad in december to a brain tumour. From the day he went into hospital, he died 7 weeks later. We did bring him home and was all by his side when he passed. We have a very close family and this has brought us closer. It was me and my mum who was with him and the consultant when we were told he had weeks. Its been 5 months and now i re live that moment every day. The constant feeling of sadness is awful and it feels I’ll never be happy again.

3 Likes

Hi @Willow2018,
I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, my mom passed away from brain tumors 2 years ago, it was a very aggressive cancer. Our parents are a big part of our lives, so it’s a really big shock when they pass. Grief is painful, but take it a day at a time. I’ve learned to view it like carrying a backpack full of rocks, it feels very heavy when they first pass, but over time, it’s like the rocks shrink, they’ll never entirely disappear, but they become a more manageable weight that you don’t mind carrying with you. I guess I don’t mind carrying the weight because, though my mom is gone, the fact that it’s there reminds me she was here, & that I cared. Sending hugs of support.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words. Its good to chat to people eho are going through the same thing

@Willow2018 I know exactly what you mean. My Dad died in March, I walked in on him dying in hospital & I’ve relived it ever since especially when I close my eyes before sleep. It’s that powerless feeling isn’t it. I was standing there & couldn’t do a thing about it. In my head I try & change the outcome & have had dreams where at least he died at home. (Had an argument with the Dr about him coming home & it was arranged but we were too late) there are days where I’d rather be with him. I’m pleased you have a supportive network. That’s one thing I’m grateful for too. Grief really is a horrible experience where the only person I want to confide in has gone. Warmest regards to you. X

3 Likes