Losing my Dad

Hi everyone. I’m new to this. I lost my beloved Uncle in March. He was terminally ill and he passed peacefully at home. My Dad then followed him unexpectedly, ten days later. I’ve supported my family, arranged the funeral and looked after my mum, sorting her finances and her paperwork. Why can’t I cry? I’ve got a constant lump in my solar plexus. I’m used to staying strong for others as I do tend to be the one everyone else relies on. My job means I have dealt with some truly horrendous things but I don’t know how to get past this myself.

Hello @Helenll29,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling. I’m so sorry for the loss of your uncle and your dad.

Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

It sounds like you may still be feeling shock and numbness. You might find our support page helpful in understanding how you are feeling right now and what kind of feelings you can expect in the months and years ahead.

You may also find these Sue Ryder resources helpful too:

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Seaneen

You are keeping busy and that’s what I did. Give it time and be kind to yourself. It’s ok to cry to a friend or just chat - it offloads emotions. You will have your moments but sounds like you’re being everything to everyone and keeping chipper for your mum. Sending hugs x

1 Like

Thanks so much. I think you’re right. I’m pretty sure I’ll break at some point :pensive:

It will be when you least expect it. Spend some time thinking about just you and have some quality time doing what you love. Take care x

1 Like